Aug 21, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
How is this for an unintended consequence? If Gareth Bale does end up at Real Madrid, the Spanish giants will have an even greater excess of attackers, one that could leave Karim Benzema as their odd man out.
And if a prominent French player is available, you know who’s going to be linked: Arsenal.
Though the French international is ostensibly the only number nine in Carlo Ancelotti’s squad, the new Merengues boss has been thought willing to go with a false nine up top. That could mean Cristiano Ronaldo, who spent a good deal of time behind the striker this weekend, finding a more permanent home through the middle. That could also mean the to-be-acquired Bale assuming a role not unlike the one he placed near the end of last season for Spurs.
But most importantly for the balance of power in North London, it could mean Benzema’s available. With a $62 million evaluation, his purchase would crush Arsenal’s $23.4 million record, but given Arsène Wenger’s love for a good French talent and Benzema’s potential fit in the Gunners’ 4-2-3-1 system, a lot of stars seems to be aligning around a North London move for the Real Madrid attacker.
Of course, it wouldn’t hurt to change the tune of those yelling from the stands, demanding Arsenal finally spend big.
Because he hasn’t truly broken through at Real Madrid, it seems like Benzema just recently arrived from Lyon, but the the 25-year-old just began his fifth season with Los Blancos. On Sunday, he recorded the first goal in their 2-1 win over Real Betis. In 184 all-competition appearances, Benzema’s scored 88 times and registered 49 assists, yet he never truly won the No. 9′s role from Gonzalo Higuaín. Even with Higuaín having moved on to Napoli, Benzema isn’t assured of a job.
Of course, any mention of Higuaín in a story about Arsenal obliges us to mention: The Gunners missed out on the Argentine international earlier this summer. The team’s attention was eventually (and fruitlessly) drawn to Luis Suárez, and Napoli swooped. It’d be a strange twist if Arsenal ended up with Higuaín’s platoon partner (at a price that would have gotten Higuaín) after losing out earlier this summer.
Whether Benzema is worth $62 million (no) or if he’s much of an upgrade on Olivier Giroud (yes) now come into focus, as will the Gunners’ strength relative to Tottenham, should they get their target. Ultimately, this is all about holding on to fourth place.
Then again, given this is Arsenal, we probably shouldn’t take anything for granted. Benzema’s not a Gunner, yet.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:55 PM EST
Can Arsenal break through City’s splendid home form?
Dec 13, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
The Dynamo will honor Brian Ching with several unique on-field features.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:57 PM EST
Mullins, Tshuma lead Maryland into a surprising Friday final four in Philadelphia.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Where to watch all the action ahead in a blockbuster weekend of PL match ups:
Dec 13, 2013, 12:01 PM EST
History says there are goals a-comin’ in Saturday’s match-up at St. James Park
Dec 13, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
“Average” play of midfielder more troubling during subpar start for Red Devils.
Dec 13, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
Sure there’s science behind the Brazuca, but what good is that without video of the ball shattering dinner plates and other housewares?
Dec 13, 2013, 10:35 AM EST
David Moyes reveals RVP will face yet another spell on the sidelines after aggravating a thigh injury:
Dec 13, 2013, 9:22 AM EST
Gunners aim to go eight-points clear by winning at the Etihad, Wenger plays it cool:
Dec 13, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
NBC News’ Ben Popken gets the lowdown on the new World Cup ball. Good news… a Jabulani, it is not:
Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Unless a player lifts his shirt over his head, you may never see Intel’s contribution to Barcelona’s uniforms.
Where They Stand: Europa League’s 32 knockout round teams (and their potential effect on UEFA’s coefficients)
Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Italy and Ukraine could see big boosts to their coefficients, with each federation placing four teams in Europa’s knockout rounds.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
How close is PRP to blood doping? Close enough to get the Premier League’s attention.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
D.C. United upgraded half their defense on Thursday. But what are they getting for the money?
Dec 12, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
We saw this coming. Portland traded up on Thursday to snare the former Zip.
Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018
Dec 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Klinsmann’s signed up for another cycle, the U.S. hoping to extend its evolution beyond Brazil.
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 1
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park