Aug 21, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
NBC Premier League insider Neil Ashton reported on NBCSN’s pregame show today that Gareth Bale’s prolonged transfer saga will soon be done, as the Tottenham attacker will indeed complete his long-talked about move to Spanish giants Real Madrid.
Ashton, the football news correspondent for England’s Daily Mail (@neilashton_), expects the deal to be announced soon.
Speculation over a bid from the Bernebau that could surpass a staggering $120 million for the 23-year-old Welshman, so full of skill and pace and coming off such a brilliant, breakthrough campaign with Spurs, have headlined the summer transfer talk for weeks.
Reports circulated in Spain just hours ago that Real Madrid’s latest offer for the summer’s most sought-after transfer target would be for $125 million plus Fabio Coentrão. So, we should know soon if that was the tipping point, finally convincing Tottenham to acquiesce. This comes on the heels of Tottenham closing in on Willian.
Here is Ashton’s report Wednesday, delivered before the Chelsea-Aston Villa match from Stamford Bridge:
- FOLLOW LIVE — Copa America: Peru and Paraguay clash for third place 0
- World players’ union FIFPro opens door to women for first time in 50-year history 0
- How will USMNT line up vs. Guatemala in final pre-Gold Cup friendly? 3
- Chile vs. Argentina – Three key battles that will decide the Copa America final 0
- Chelsea confirm season-long loan deal for Radamel Falcao 3
- MLS preview: Timbers vs. Earthquakes, Galaxy vs. Toronto FC headline Week 18 0