Aug 21, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
NBC Premier League insider Neil Ashton reported on NBCSN’s pregame show today that Gareth Bale’s prolonged transfer saga will soon be done, as the Tottenham attacker will indeed complete his long-talked about move to Spanish giants Real Madrid.
Ashton, the football news correspondent for England’s Daily Mail (@neilashton_), expects the deal to be announced soon.
Speculation over a bid from the Bernebau that could surpass a staggering $120 million for the 23-year-old Welshman, so full of skill and pace and coming off such a brilliant, breakthrough campaign with Spurs, have headlined the summer transfer talk for weeks.
Reports circulated in Spain just hours ago that Real Madrid’s latest offer for the summer’s most sought-after transfer target would be for $125 million plus Fabio Coentrão. So, we should know soon if that was the tipping point, finally convincing Tottenham to acquiesce. This comes on the heels of Tottenham closing in on Willian.
Here is Ashton’s report Wednesday, delivered before the Chelsea-Aston Villa match from Stamford Bridge:
- UEFA calls for postponement of FIFA presidential election, threatens to boycott congress 2
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter releases first statement since overnight arrests 7
- Three things we learned from the US Department of Justice news conference on the FIFA investigation 4
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 5
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 8
- FIFA fallout continues: Swiss authorities open criminal proceedings into allocation of 2018, 2022 World Cups 7