Aug 21, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
NBC Premier League insider Neil Ashton reported on NBCSN’s pregame show today that Gareth Bale’s prolonged transfer saga will soon be done, as the Tottenham attacker will indeed complete his long-talked about move to Spanish giants Real Madrid.
Ashton, the football news correspondent for England’s Daily Mail (@neilashton_), expects the deal to be announced soon.
Speculation over a bid from the Bernebau that could surpass a staggering $120 million for the 23-year-old Welshman, so full of skill and pace and coming off such a brilliant, breakthrough campaign with Spurs, have headlined the summer transfer talk for weeks.
Reports circulated in Spain just hours ago that Real Madrid’s latest offer for the summer’s most sought-after transfer target would be for $125 million plus Fabio Coentrão. So, we should know soon if that was the tipping point, finally convincing Tottenham to acquiesce. This comes on the heels of Tottenham closing in on Willian.
Here is Ashton’s report Wednesday, delivered before the Chelsea-Aston Villa match from Stamford Bridge:
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 4
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 1
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 2
- Draxler, Pogba, Januzaj headline 10 deals to monitor as we near Transfer Deadline Day 1
- Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty 1
- Done Deals: De Bruyne joins Manchester City in busy day for Wolfsburg 2