Aug 21, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
NBC Premier League insider Neil Ashton reported on NBCSN’s pregame show today that Gareth Bale’s prolonged transfer saga will soon be done, as the Tottenham attacker will indeed complete his long-talked about move to Spanish giants Real Madrid.
Ashton, the football news correspondent for England’s Daily Mail (@neilashton_), expects the deal to be announced soon.
Speculation over a bid from the Bernebau that could surpass a staggering $120 million for the 23-year-old Welshman, so full of skill and pace and coming off such a brilliant, breakthrough campaign with Spurs, have headlined the summer transfer talk for weeks.
Reports circulated in Spain just hours ago that Real Madrid’s latest offer for the summer’s most sought-after transfer target would be for $125 million plus Fabio Coentrão. So, we should know soon if that was the tipping point, finally convincing Tottenham to acquiesce. This comes on the heels of Tottenham closing in on Willian.
Here is Ashton’s report Wednesday, delivered before the Chelsea-Aston Villa match from Stamford Bridge:
- Premier League roundup: Tense Saturday, as relegation battle intensifies 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Aston Villa: Stunning finish sees City hold on after Guzan’s blunder 2
- Back in the big time: Watford promoted to the Premier League 3
- Burnley 0-1 Leicester City: Foxes move out of drop zone, send Clarets bottom! 0
- Southampton 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur: Visitors twice come back from Pelle goals 0
- Watch Live: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool (Lineups and Live Stream) 0