Aug 21, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
A little piece of classic Mourinho appears after today’s match at Stamford Bridge, with his post-match comments harkening back to his peer-antagonizing Premier League debut. From 2004-2007, during José Mourinho’s initial run at Chelsea, the Portuguese manager never shied from a critical word for opposing coaches. Famous criticisms of Arsène Wenger and Rafa Benítez, among others, have become part of Special One lore, and with these comments about Aston Villa coach Paul Lambert, Mourinho clearly capable of launching the occasional barb.
Asked about a second half incident between Branislav Ivanovic and Christian Benteke, where some thought the Chelsea defender deserved to be dismissed after his foul on the Villa forward, Mourinho noted how much Paul Lambert reminds him of himself.
And not in a good way:
Paul (Lambert) reminds me of (when) I was his age. At this moment, I complain at some decisions. When I was his age, I complained with every decision. And Paul is exactly the same. He complains with every decision. He wants everything for him.
It’s all in the video, above where Mourinho goes on to explain why he selected Ivanovic at right back over Cesar Azpilicueta, anticipating a physical matchup.
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 0
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England
- Thistle Manager Sent Off While Playing For His Team's Under-20s
- Is CONCACAF Champions League Format Working Against MLS?