Aug 21, 2013, 12:09 AM EST
Bruce Arena would surely have liked to have kept Landon Donovan on the bench Tuesday as his Galaxy opened Champions Legue play. And the Galaxy manager probably wanted to get Robbie Keane off the field ASAP, too.
There are important MLS matches ahead; one is in Vancouver in just four nights.
But with the score at 0-0 and half an hour remaining against Costa Rican club Cartaginés, and with CONCACAF Champions League opportunity slipping away, the Galaxy boss turned to his substantial reinforcement plan. Soon enough, the team’s top playmaker, Donovan, was on the field and setting up a pair of goals for the in-form Keane and the Galaxy went on to a 2-0 win over the visitors at the StubHub Center.
With his goals, the first in the 66th and the second deep into injury time, Keane moved passed teammates Jack McBean and Juninho as the club’s all-time leaders in Champions League goals.
Keane’s second goal, in the 93rd minute, may well become meaningful. With so few matches (and therefore fewer games to create separation in the standings) goal difference could become important.
Not all news was good for Arena, who saw winger Robbie Rogers leave the field with an apparent hamstring injury.
The Galaxy meets Metapan from El Salvador on Sept. 18 outside Los Angeles in its next CCL contest.
Dec 19, 2013, 7:33 PM EST
Six serious injuries but no casualties resulted tonight’s near-miss in Bekal.
Dec 19, 2013, 6:39 PM EST
U.S. Soccer’s 56-member panel as selected the program’s Best XI to celebrate the federation’s centennial.
Dec 19, 2013, 4:49 PM EST
Bluebird ownership is pushing the Scottish boss out the door, with a Monday email leaving Mackay’s departure practically inevitable.
Dec 19, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
The Western Conference champs kept it in-house, ensuring the team’s core philosophies will be in place come 2014.
Dec 19, 2013, 2:40 PM EST
With a victory, Liverpool will climb to the top of the Premier League table.
Dec 19, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
“My only conclusion is you have a business guy operating the club who knows absolutely nothing about football,” Rodgers said.
Dec 19, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
“It’s important to continue in the direction I set out on, which is to be in Europe,” Bradley said.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:10 PM EST
Might Google be the next big player in the battle for soccer broadcast rights? John Ourand thinks so.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
The Football Association chairman Greg Dyke says Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere needs to grow up a bit.
Dec 19, 2013, 10:32 AM EST
While supporters and neutrals alike can’t help but dream of a March 2nd all-Manchester final, Jonny Evans is staying grounded.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:42 AM EST
So don’t let Rodgers’ passiveness fool you. Liverpool is pressing to lock Suarez down until kingdom come.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:01 AM EST
Go ahead and cross Andres Iniesta’s name off your club’s holiday wish-list.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:20 AM EST
“This is very bad for the team but there are a lot of players who want to play,” Dzeko said.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:39 PM EST
Chelsea has a problem. They must. The solution, however, is harder to find.
Dec 18, 2013, 9:56 PM EST
Two games or one? Arsenal’s going to make the case for the lighter punishment, according to Wednesday’s reports.
Dec 18, 2013, 8:51 PM EST
Donovan’s goal may have been the favorite, but Wambach’s goal won U.S. Soccer’s tournament.
Dec 18, 2013, 7:57 PM EST
You need this to keep up – because this has been a period of managerial transition like none other in Major League Soccer:
Dec 18, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
He gets a mulligan on a 2013 that went all kinds of wrong:
Dec 18, 2013, 6:09 PM EST
City, United are on opposite sides of the bracket for January’s semifinals.
Dec 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
A rocket from Ashley Young broke a second half stalemate and moved the Red Devils into the League Cup’s last four.
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) 1
- Manchester derby in cards for League Cup final 1
- Brendan Rodgers cool on re-signing Luis Suarez to a new deal 1
- Abby Wambach’s 2011 goal against Brazil voted best moment in U.S. Soccer history 2
- Young’s blast, Evra’s insurance see Manchester United into League Cup semifinals 0
- Late Jarvis, Maiga goals see West Ham past Tottenham, into League Cup semifinals 2
- Report: Clint Dempsey will join Fulham on Jan. 1 for two-month loan (12)
- Spurs in hunt for new boss after sacking Andre Villas-Boas (10)
- Mexico’s Monterrey dumped out of FIFA Club World Cup (7)
- Eddie Johnson to D.C. is happening: What this means for Seattle, United (7)
- Adam Moffat traded again, sent to FC Dallas for rights to Kenny Cooper (6)
- Hodgson's Manaus Plan is Flawed
- Wilmer Cabrera on WC Draw: ''It's an Even Group''
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit