Aug 21, 2013, 6:33 PM EST
Late in the first half at the Vicente Calderon, some mild concerned for Lionel Messi started to develop as the Barcelona attacker appeared to have suffered an injury. When the Argentine didn’t return after halftime that concern became outright worry, with Gerardo Martino electing to bring Cesc Fábregas on in the second half.
Now some word that a thigh strain, picked up after taking a knock in the first half, forced Barcelona’s precaution. Messi will undergo further evaluation tomorrow when the team returns to Barcelona.
Atlético Madrid took an early lead over Barça in the first leg of the team’s two-legged Spanish Super Cup tie, with former Blaugrana forward David Villa scoring in the 12th minute. Barcelona later equalized through Neymar, who scored his first goal for the club in the 66th minute.
The game remained tied 1-1 at the time of this posting.
Lionel Messi went 71 minutes on Sunday against Levante in Barcelona’s first Primera Division match of the season, leaving once Barcelona had the game well in hand. He scored twice and set up another in Barcelona’s 7-0 victory.
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"