Aug 22, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
A week after his first United States national team cap, Icelandic-raised striker Aron Jóhannsson continued tearing up the competition for his club side, AZ Alkmaar of the Dutch Eredivisie.
Jóhannsson scored an individual masterpiece against Greek team Atromitos in the UEFA Europa League, giving his team the lead in the 73rd minute away from home. AZ eventually won 3-1 in a match where every goal came in the final 17 minutes of play.
The striker ran onto a through ball from Willie Overtoom inside the attacking half. He slowed down as defender Stathis Tavlaridis closed him down, but Tavlaridis slid into a tackle too soon, and Jóhansson cut back smoothly toward the inside and slotted a shot calmly past Michalis Sifakis in the Atromitos goal. (See video of the goal here.)
Jóhannsson transferred to AZ from AGF Aarhus in Denmark in the January transfer window 2013, after he lit the Danish league up for 14 goals in the first half of the season. So far in the 2013/14 season, he has five goals in five competitive matches, and he scored three in five appearances (all as a substitute) at the end of the last campaign.
It’s easy to see now why Jóhannsson’s decision to switch national team allegiance from Iceland enraged Icelandic FA president Geir Þorsteinsson (Thorsteinsson) so much.
U.S. striker Jozy Altidore‘s form for AZ last season, before transferring to Sunderland in the Premier League this summer, carried over onto the national team in World Cup qualifying. If Jóhansson is called up for and gets playing time in the September qualifiers against Costa Rica and Mexico, he could easily continue the trend.
- Jose Mourinho, once again, wins tactical battle against Arsene Wenger 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal vs. Chelsea 8
- Arsenal 0-0 Chelsea: Organized Blues defending effectively ends title race 0
- Who were the biggest snubs in PFA’s Premier League Team of the Season selections? 4
- PFA Team of the Year announced: 6 Blues lead the way 0
- VIDEO: Premier League Sunday preview – Arsenal vs. Chelsea, Everton vs. Manchester United 0