Aug 22, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
United States youth international midfielder Sebastian Lletget scored the winning goal for West Ham United’s under-21 team against Everton on Monday. He initiated the play and finished it off after picking off a weak goal kick in the 89th minute.
It was the West Ham U21s’ second game of the Barclays U21 Premier League season. On Aug. 12, Lletget scored the third goal in a 3-0 rout of Aston Villa’s U21s.
Since signing a senior-level contract with the club in February, he has been edging closer to a first-team debut in the Premier League. The San Francisco native has not made a U.S. national team camp since joining the U23s in February 2012 for a camp, ahead of its failed 2012 Olympic qualifying campaign (in which he did not participate).
Before the 2009 U17 World Cup, Lletget starred for the U17s, scoring a goal in the game that clinched its spot in that competition. Others on that roster (Joe Gyau, Jack McInerney and Juan Agudelo) have received looks with the full national team since, but Lletget has not gotten the call yet.
With U.S. head coach Jürgen Klinsmann’s willingness to bring in young faces, Lletget is likely on the radar for a call-up. What would help him immensely would be a debut with West Ham’s first team, which could come this season if his performances stay steady.
Lletget trained with the first team in preseason, impressing in a 2-1 win at Colchester United before joining his teammates for a training camp in Germany.
“I definitely feel like my first-team opportunities are within arm’s length, or even closer than that,” he told the club’s website. “I’m feeling confident and physically ready. We’ll see where the season takes me, but hopefully, it’s going to be one to remember.”
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 0
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 2
- Stoppage-time own goal sinks England, sends Japan to Women’s World Cup final 5
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 7
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 10
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0