Aug 22, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
United States youth international midfielder Sebastian Lletget scored the winning goal for West Ham United’s under-21 team against Everton on Monday. He initiated the play and finished it off after picking off a weak goal kick in the 89th minute.
It was the West Ham U21s’ second game of the Barclays U21 Premier League season. On Aug. 12, Lletget scored the third goal in a 3-0 rout of Aston Villa’s U21s.
Since signing a senior-level contract with the club in February, he has been edging closer to a first-team debut in the Premier League. The San Francisco native has not made a U.S. national team camp since joining the U23s in February 2012 for a camp, ahead of its failed 2012 Olympic qualifying campaign (in which he did not participate).
Before the 2009 U17 World Cup, Lletget starred for the U17s, scoring a goal in the game that clinched its spot in that competition. Others on that roster (Joe Gyau, Jack McInerney and Juan Agudelo) have received looks with the full national team since, but Lletget has not gotten the call yet.
With U.S. head coach Jürgen Klinsmann’s willingness to bring in young faces, Lletget is likely on the radar for a call-up. What would help him immensely would be a debut with West Ham’s first team, which could come this season if his performances stay steady.
Lletget trained with the first team in preseason, impressing in a 2-1 win at Colchester United before joining his teammates for a training camp in Germany.
“I definitely feel like my first-team opportunities are within arm’s length, or even closer than that,” he told the club’s website. “I’m feeling confident and physically ready. We’ll see where the season takes me, but hopefully, it’s going to be one to remember.”
- WATCH: Incredible 60-yard pass leads Montreal ouster of Pachuca in CONCACAF Champions League 1
- Tuesday’s Premier League roundup: Saints, Villa win; Hull, Sunderland draw 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: Toronto FC 0
- Aston Villa 2-1 West Bromwich Albion: Late drama hands Sherwood first win (video) 0
- Southampton 1-0 Crystal Palace: Mane’s late goal gets Saints back on track (video) 0
- Update on MLS labor strike: Players Union, league at impasse as situation looks dire 8