Aug 22, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
When Ema Boateng played for University of California Santa Barbara last year as a freshman, he was obviously a step above the level. He played as a winger and outside back for Tim Vom Steeg’s Gauchos, cutting up opponents and delighting crowds with his footskills.
So when he went on trial with Helsingborgs IF in the Swedish top division this summer, there was always a chance he would not come back. He signed a three-and-a-half-year contract with the Allsvenskan club in July.
In just his third appearance and second start for the club, Boateng netted two goals in Helsingborgs’ 4-0 win over Härnosänd in the Swedish Cup on Thursday. His goals came in the 31st and 55th minutes, making the score 2-0 and 3-0, respectively.
A native of Kumasi, Ghana, Boateng graduated from the Right To Dream Academy in his home nation before being named the national 2012 Gatorade Soccer Player of the Year while he played at Cate High School in Santa Barbara, Calif. The 19-year-old, listed at 5 feet, 6 inches tall and 150 pounds on the UCSB soccer website, scored four goals and added four assists in his 18-game college career.
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 0
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear