Aug 22, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
When Ema Boateng played for University of California Santa Barbara last year as a freshman, he was obviously a step above the level. He played as a winger and outside back for Tim Vom Steeg’s Gauchos, cutting up opponents and delighting crowds with his footskills.
So when he went on trial with Helsingborgs IF in the Swedish top division this summer, there was always a chance he would not come back. He signed a three-and-a-half-year contract with the Allsvenskan club in July.
In just his third appearance and second start for the club, Boateng netted two goals in Helsingborgs’ 4-0 win over Härnosänd in the Swedish Cup on Thursday. His goals came in the 31st and 55th minutes, making the score 2-0 and 3-0, respectively.
A native of Kumasi, Ghana, Boateng graduated from the Right To Dream Academy in his home nation before being named the national 2012 Gatorade Soccer Player of the Year while he played at Cate High School in Santa Barbara, Calif. The 19-year-old, listed at 5 feet, 6 inches tall and 150 pounds on the UCSB soccer website, scored four goals and added four assists in his 18-game college career.
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014