Aug 22, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
Fatih Terim took over the Turkish national team for the third time on Thursday, replacing Abdullah Avci, who stepped down the previous day. Under Avci, Turkey all but failed to reach the 2014 FIFA World Cup already, sitting in fourth place in UEFA qualifying Group D.
Terim signed a contract to coach the team until May 2014, and he will continue in his duties as Galatasaray manager at the same time. Terim’s previous two stints with Turkey ended with historic results.
When he was appointed for the first time in 1993, Turkey had only participated in one major senior-level tournament: World Cup 1954 (it also qualified for the 1950 tournament but withdrew). Terim led the team to Euro 1996, where it failed to score a goal and left with three losses.
He then signed with Galatasaray, returning to coach Turkey again almost a decade later, in 2005. With higher expectations after a third-place finish at the 2002 World Cup and a quarterfinal appearance before that at Euro 2000, Terim took the team to the semifinals of Euro 2008 after a series of comeback victories.
He stepped down after failing to qualify for the 2010 World Cup, and a Terim-managed Galatasaray won the Süper Lig and Turkish Super Cup in 2011/12 and 2012/13, as well as advancing to the quarterfinals of the 2012/13 UEFA Champions League.
Altogether in his coaching career, Terim has six Süper Lig titles, a UEFA Cup, two Turkish Cups and two Super Cups, all with Galatasaray.
Terim’s first match in charge this time around will be a qualifiers on Sept. 6 and 10, against Andorra and at Romania, respectively.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"