Aug 22, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
LA Galaxy fans will be happy to hear Landon Donovan would like to stay at the club after his contract expires this December.
In an interview with TWC Sportsnet on Wednesday, Donovan was asked if he’d like to finish his career with the Galaxy.
The winger responded: “I would like that. Obviously as you get older, you only have so many more opportunities to do things you want to do. Financially, things come into play.
“All things being equal, I would love to be here and we’re working towards that, and I’m hopeful that will happen.”
When asked if anything specifically would prevent him from staying in LA, Donovan responded “[The Galaxy] telling me they don’t want me.”
These comments will serve to ease the tension of Galaxy fans after Donovan’s interview with Fox Sports 1 last Monday intimated that he may be looking to move elsewhere next season. “Right now I am enjoying myself, I want to continue enjoying myself,” the midfielder said.
“We have received offers from teams in different countries that are intriguing,” Donovan continued. “I’m still going to speak with the Galaxy and see how they value me and see where they want to go going forward, but I’m really open in a way that I haven’t been before in the past.
“I was pretty content to stay in LA. But if it doesn’t work out and we can’t come to an agreement here then I am ready for a different challenge and we’ll see what happens.”
Donovan has been in spectacular form following last winter’s sabbatical from the game. In addition to the six goals and seven assists he’s notched in the league, the 31 year old was the standout performer and Golden Boot winner at this summer’s Gold Cup.
- Late Grabavoy goal prolongs Portland’s agony against Real Salt Lake (video) 0
- Late Blas Pérez goal gives FC Dallas 2-1 win over Toronto FC (video) 1
- D.C. United takes a point out of Columbus, but referee has some explaining to do (video) 1
- Late strike from Manneh allows Vancouver to salvage a point against LA Galaxy (video) 1
- WATCH: All the goals, highlights from Saturday in the Premier League 0
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea blow it, Swansea, Spurs and Palace win 0