Landon Donovan says he’d like to finish career with LA Galaxy

Aug 22, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT

Donovan of L.A. Galaxy controls the ball against Giovinco of Juventus during soccer match in Los Angeles Reuters

LA Galaxy fans will be happy to hear Landon Donovan would like to stay at the club after his contract expires this December.

In an interview with TWC Sportsnet on Wednesday, Donovan was asked if he’d like to finish his career with the Galaxy.

The winger responded: “I would like that. Obviously as you get older, you only have so many more opportunities to do things you want to do. Financially, things come into play.

“All things being equal, I would love to be here and we’re working towards that, and I’m hopeful that will happen.”

These comments will serve to ease the tension of Galaxy fans after Donovan’s interview with Fox Sports 1 last Monday intimated that he may be looking to move elsewhere next season. “Right now I am enjoying myself, I want to continue enjoying myself,” the midfielder said.

“We have received offers from teams in different countries that are intriguing,” Donovan continued. “I’m still going to speak with the Galaxy and see how they value me and see where they want to go going forward, but I’m really open in a way that I haven’t been before in the past.

“I was pretty content to stay in LA. But if it doesn’t work out and we can’t come to an agreement here then I am ready for a different challenge and we’ll see what happens.”

Donovan has been in spectacular form following last winter’s sabbatical from the game. In addition to the six goals and seven assists he’s notched in the league, the 31 year old was the standout performer and Golden Boot winner at this summer’s Gold Cup.

1. hildezero - Aug 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I think it’s unbelievable, that a 31 year old American is actually getting a lot of interest.

2. lfan1985 - Aug 22, 2013 at 4:17 PM

What does his nationality have to do with anything? The man can play. I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you were referring to how nice it is that the rest of the world seems to be taking American players seriously. That would have been a better, less ignorant sounding thing to say.

3. hildezero - Aug 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM

You’re dumb. He’s an American. Of course, no one is gonna take him seriously. People respect American soccer, but they can’t take them serious. If Jozy was Brazilian, would he have gotten better offers?

4. jimmycrackcorn99 - Aug 22, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Not sure I remember reading such a small-minded comment.

5. hildezero - Aug 22, 2013 at 6:01 PM

How was that small minded?

6. talgrath - Aug 22, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Yeah, let me translate for you “When asked if anything specifically would prevent him from staying in LA, Donovan responded “[The Galaxy] telling me they don’t want me.”” means “If they don’t pay me enough”. These sorts of rumors will float around any time a major player’s contract is coming up for renewal, they usually come from the player’s agent; this way the player can test the market and raise their salary, even if they aren’t seriously think of playing elsewhere. I’d be highly surprised if Donovan doesn’t end his career with the Galaxy, then again, I didn’t think Dempsey to the Sounders was likely either.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?