Aug 23, 2013, 1:33 PM EDT
After watching vast swathes of European cup competitions this week, one thing is clear in my mind…
Scoring bicycle kicks is well and truly back in fashion.
Reportedly this action was originally executed by Peruvian players from Callao who played soccer against English sailors back in the 19th century. Although people in Brazil, Italy and Chile believe they also invented the breathtaking skill.
Regardless, this week there were two stunning strikes as the mesmerizing ball striking method is back with a bang. But which one was better? I can’t decide, so let me know.
Yet having two of these beauties drop in a week is something special, so enjoy.
First on Tuesday night Spanish side Real Sociedad went away to French outfit Lyon and caused a shock by beating them 2-0 in the first leg of their Champions League playoff.
But take a bow, Antoine Griezmann. This has to be one of the best bicycle kicks you’ve ever seen. The 22-year-old Frenchman looked even cooler pulling it off due to his bleached blonde hair. Très Bien.
So, that happened on Tuesday and I’d barely got over the excitement of seeing the bicycle kick pop up when the renaissance continued in the Europa League playoff round on Thursday.
This time it wasn’t quite as exciting, as Romanian outfit Petrolul Ploiești were already 5-0 down to Swansea in the first leg with a few minutes to go.
But Romanian international Gheorghe Grozav stole the show with an absolute peach of a bicycle kick, as Swansea City’s fans replied the only way they could… applauding. Take it away, Gheorghe.
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 3
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 4
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 1
- League Cup Roundup: Balotelli saves Liverpool, Newcastle defeat Manchester City 0
- Report: Spanish legend Raul signs with the New York Cosmos 0