Aug 24, 2013, 11:06 PM EST
The LA Galaxy has found the rhythm, and Bruce Arena’s team is running downhill now toward another MLS playoff appearance.
But what about the other team that has appeared in the last two MLS Cup finals? Dominic Kinnear’s team has the look of a side moving uphill – on a bit of a slippery surface, too.
Saturday’s capitulation in Montreal has to be concerning for everyone in South Texas. It’s the worst loss ever for the Dynamo, which began its days as the team in orange back in 2006.
Furthermore, Houston just 4-6-4 since mid-May. During that time, Kinnear’s team has lost its edge at home; the Dynamo have done better lately at BBVA Compass Stadium, but are just 3-2-2 lately at their downtown ground.
The schedule is also quite alarming going forward. With those CONCACAF Champions League matches, Kinnear and Co. must deal with eight games over next five weeks.
Kinnear has shown that he won’t sacrifice MLS matches for supplemental competitions, having liberally laced his past Open Cup and continental competition lineups with reserves. Still, there’s travel and extra minutes for some members of the team.
The other issue is that Chicago and New England (the clubs chasing Houston in the standings, currently just on the other side of that red line of playoff grace) aren’t bad right now, but with a little summer momentum – although neither Eastern Conference rival is perfect, both with their own issues to sort through.
What the Eastern Conference standings look like after Saturday’s matches:
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 1
- UEFA Champions League preview: Arsenal, Chelsea look to close out groups 0
- New York City FC names Jason Kreis its first coach 5
- UEFA Champions League recap: Man United, Bayern join Real, PSG as group winners 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"