Aug 24, 2013, 12:13 PM EDT
The match against Liverpool makes the third match for Aston Villa in the past eight days, but the first match at Villa Park for the Lions (12:30 pm ET, watch live via NBC and NBC Sports Live Extra). Liverpool won their first match 1-0 against Stoke City, whereas the Villa picked up a surprising victory in theirs, 3-1 against Arsenal at the Emirates.
Aston Villa have made two changes to the side that very nearly held on to a point against Chelsea at Stamford bridge on Wednesday. Karim El Ahmadi makes way for Leandro Bacuna in Paul Lambert‘s defensive midfield trio. Jores Okore gets his full debut in the Villa shirt, replacing Ciaran Clark, who came off injured midweek. The question now becomes: how long until this center back has to leave the match with a head injury?
The Reds have made exactly zero changes to the lineup trotted out by Brendan Rodgers last week at Anfield. New Liverpool hero Simon Mignolet, who saved a Jonathan Walters penalty last week to preserve the three points, remains in goal, while scorer Daniel Sturridge starts up front.
With Villa a bit tired from their midweek exertions, will Liverpool be able to secure their second straight victory?
Aston Villa: Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Okore, Luna, Bacuna, Westwood, Delph, Agbonlahor, Benteke, Weimann
Substitutes: Steer, Clark, El Ahmadi, Helenius, Herd, Sylla, Tonev
Liverpool: Mignolet, Johnson, Enrique, Toure, Agger, Gerrard, Aspas, Coutinho, Henderson, Lucas, Sturridge
Substitutes: Jones, Alberto, Cissokho, Allen, Borini, Sterling, Wisdom
- Report: USA to play friendly vs. Colombia in San Antonio 1
- Everton set to complete $50 million deal for Chelsea’s Romelu Lukaku 4
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton 0
- Steven Gerrard endured “worst three months” of his life after Liverpool, England heartbreak 2
- Premier League on tour, Tuesday roundup: United beat Inter in penalties 1
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1