Aug 24, 2013, 9:34 PM EST
If you added up all the points collected this year by Toronto FC and D.C. United, two clubs that have had any business thinking “playoffs” for weeks now, it still would not be enough to make the post-season. Such has been the struggle to collect points, perhaps the match from RFK Stadium tonight was an inevitable point-splitter.
The match ended in a 1-1 draw. Too bad for D.C. United, which wasted Dwayne De Rosario’s spectacular, early goal.
And shame for TFC, which wasted the rarest of animals these days, a Bobby Convey goal.
A win would have provided some brief joy for one of these two sides, both with “Pardon our dust: Under Construction” signs now on the door.
Only other thing to say about this one: TFC center back Doneil Henry, a wonderfully promising 20-year-old Canadian, was commanding along the visitors’ back line. His play was one of the difference, and a stark contrast to the error by Dejan Jackovic, D.C. United’s veteran center back.
When your most experience defender tries to get cute with a backheel clearance, as he did just before TFC’s goal, well … you have D.C. United.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park