Aug 24, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
Even Aston Villa fans will have to admit that Liverpool’s opening goal at Villa Park was a lovely one, even though it saw their side go down early once again.
Liverpool broke forward and easily slipped through the Villa midfield, allowing Jose Enrique the opportunity to slot the ball into the middle of the area where Daniel Sturridge was waiting. Sturridge picked up the ball and easily cut through the claret and blue shirts, dancing around the defense. Brad Guzan came out in an attempt to rescue the ball, but the goalkeeper slipped as Sturridge slid out of his away. The forward evaded Antonio Luna as he attempted to close him down, electing to send his shot into the roof of the net for a fabulous opening goal.
That’s two goals in two games for Daniel Sturridge. Last week it was enough to give Liverpool all three points against Stoke, but will a single goal be sufficient to contain Villa? The home side have four goals in two matches, with Christian Benteke scoring in both. Liverpool have looked the better of the two for the first 30 minutes, but will need to keep their concentration if they want to emerge victorious.
- Chris Smalling signs new Manchester United contract through 2019 0
- Franz Beckenbauer: Der Kaiser weighs in on Klopp, Dante and Bayern’s CL hopes 0
- UEFA Champions League preview: Can PSG, Bayern come back from 3-1 down to Barcelona, Porto? 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 7 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Big climbers galore as momentum kicks in 1
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United prove they can challenge Chelsea for the title 2