Aug 24, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Even Aston Villa fans will have to admit that Liverpool’s opening goal at Villa Park was a lovely one, even though it saw their side go down early once again.
Liverpool broke forward and easily slipped through the Villa midfield, allowing Jose Enrique the opportunity to slot the ball into the middle of the area where Daniel Sturridge was waiting. Sturridge picked up the ball and easily cut through the claret and blue shirts, dancing around the defense. Brad Guzan came out in an attempt to rescue the ball, but the goalkeeper slipped as Sturridge slid out of his away. The forward evaded Antonio Luna as he attempted to close him down, electing to send his shot into the roof of the net for a fabulous opening goal.
That’s two goals in two games for Daniel Sturridge. Last week it was enough to give Liverpool all three points against Stoke, but will a single goal be sufficient to contain Villa? The home side have four goals in two matches, with Christian Benteke scoring in both. Liverpool have looked the better of the two for the first 30 minutes, but will need to keep their concentration if they want to emerge victorious.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 5
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 4
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)