Aug 24, 2013, 12:27 PM EST
It was a lively first half…for Everton, at least. By the end of the first 45 minutes, the home side no undoubtedly were hoping for one of those infamous Ben Foster howlers, but the West Brom defense was determined to stand strong. That was about all the Baggies were able to do, however. With Everton controlling the majority of the possession and remaining patient in the build up, West Brom were unable to really threaten Tim Howard‘s goal.
Everton were probably also wishing Nikica Jelavic had been properly taught the offside rule, as the forward found himself repeatedly the subject of the whistle as he went toward goal. In the dying minutes of the first half, Jelavic very nearly put his header in the back of the net, but found himself denied by Foster, just seconds after West Brom kept out another header by Leon Osman. The Baggies stayed strong, though, and went into the second half tied 0-0.
Nothing changed in the second half, except perhaps the expression on Roberto Martinez‘s face. The new Everton boss was visibly frustrated as his side tried in vain to put the ball in the back of the net. In total the Toffees had 22 shots, including 8 on target, but some sort of voodoo magic had been cast on the West Brom goal — or perhaps the Baggies were simply putting forth a solid defense.
Even Martinez’s double switch, bringing on Steven Naismith and Arouna Kone for Kevin Mirallas and Jelavic for the final 20 minutes, couldn’t rescue a win for his side. Naismith almost immediately set up a shot for Steven Pinaar, but again, West Brom was up to the challenge.
With more than ten minutes left to play, the Baggies suffered a setback when man of the match Ben Foster went down with injury, forcing substitute keeper Luke Daniels to come on in his place. That gave Marouane Fellaini his best chance of the match, with the Belgian beating Daniels in the 82nd minute, but Fellaini’s shot hit the post rather than the back of the net. Again, that voodoo.
Everton have picked up two points from their first two matches, while this goalless draw gives West Brom their first point of the campaign.
Everton: Howard, Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Baines, Osman, Fellaini, Mirallas (Naismith 73), Barkley, Pienaar, Jelavic (Kone 72)
Subs not used: Robles, Heitinga, Deulofeu, Stones, Anichebe
West Brom: Foster (Daniels 78), Billy Jones, McAuley, Olsson, Ridgewell, Morrison, Mulumbu, Yacob, Dorrans, Long (Brunt 81), Rosenberg (Vydra 67)
Subs not used: Sinclair, Popov, Lugano, Berahino
Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Unless a player lifts his shirt over his head, you may never see Intel’s contribution to Barcelona’s uniforms.
Where They Stand: Europa League’s 32 knockout round teams (and their potential effect on UEFA’s coefficients)
Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Italy and Ukraine could see big boosts to their coefficients, with each federation placing four teams in Europa’s knockout rounds.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
How close is PRP to blood doping? Close enough to get the Premier League’s attention.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
D.C. United upgraded half their defense on Thursday. But what are they getting for the money?
Dec 12, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
We saw this coming. Portland traded up on Thursday to snare the former Zip.
Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018
Dec 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Klinsmann’s signed up for another cycle, the U.S. hoping to extend its evolution beyond Brazil.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
This marks the first time a Bundesliga club has played in the league’s summer showcase.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Two big questions this weekend: 1) Can Spurs stop Luis Suarez? and
2) Does City’s midfield rival that of Arsenal?
Dec 12, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Young says, but “for me, the referees have made decisions and that’s it.”
Dec 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Would Moyes really loan Zaha to a competitor like Everton or Newcastle?
Dec 12, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
When looking back at the biggest UK Twitter “surges” of 2013 there is one topic that dominates the landscape: footy.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park