Aug 24, 2013, 6:38 AM EDT
Ahead of Arsenal’s trip across London to play Fulham this morning, (7:45am ET, watch live on NBCSN and online via NBC Sports Live Extra) midfielder Jack Wilshere has given manager Arsene Wenger his full support.
The 21-year-old England international seemed upset by the constant speculation regarding Wenger’s ability and has reportedly stood up for Arsenal’s long-time coach.
“Arsene Wenger has been there for so many years and he’s always delivered trophies,” Wilshere said. “OK we’ve had a little dip in the last five or six years, but he’s a great manager and people who question his ability are ridiculous. He’s qualified for the Champions League for 16 years so I think he’s the right man for the job.”
While Wilshere himself revealed that he may reconsider his Arsenal future if Wenger did leave the Emirates after a tumultuous summer of no transfer activity in North London.
“I want to win things with Arsenal and I want to be there in the future, but if the boss leaves then things could change,” Wilshere said. “Arsenal are always in my heart and by signing a deal for the next five years shows my commitment to them and their commitment to me so at the moment everything is good.”
Wilshere is one of Wenger’s biggest hopes if they’re going to succeed in the Premier League and UEFA Champions League this season. After missing a large chunk of last season through various injuries, Wilshere is like a new signing and is Wenger’s driving force from midfield.
A win against Fulham today would certainly ease plenty of the pressure stacked on Wenger’s shoulders.
Whatever everyone else is saying, seems like the French manager is backed by his players.
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 2
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs