Aug 24, 2013, 6:38 AM EST
Ahead of Arsenal’s trip across London to play Fulham this morning, (7:45am ET, watch live on NBCSN and online via NBC Sports Live Extra) midfielder Jack Wilshere has given manager Arsene Wenger his full support.
The 21-year-old England international seemed upset by the constant speculation regarding Wenger’s ability and has reportedly stood up for Arsenal’s long-time coach.
“Arsene Wenger has been there for so many years and he’s always delivered trophies,” Wilshere said. “OK we’ve had a little dip in the last five or six years, but he’s a great manager and people who question his ability are ridiculous. He’s qualified for the Champions League for 16 years so I think he’s the right man for the job.”
While Wilshere himself revealed that he may reconsider his Arsenal future if Wenger did leave the Emirates after a tumultuous summer of no transfer activity in North London.
“I want to win things with Arsenal and I want to be there in the future, but if the boss leaves then things could change,” Wilshere said. “Arsenal are always in my heart and by signing a deal for the next five years shows my commitment to them and their commitment to me so at the moment everything is good.”
Wilshere is one of Wenger’s biggest hopes if they’re going to succeed in the Premier League and UEFA Champions League this season. After missing a large chunk of last season through various injuries, Wilshere is like a new signing and is Wenger’s driving force from midfield.
A win against Fulham today would certainly ease plenty of the pressure stacked on Wenger’s shoulders.
Whatever everyone else is saying, seems like the French manager is backed by his players.
- VIDEO: Meet your Premier League Team of the Year, at the season’s halfway mark 0
- Premier League roundup: Boxing Day madness as Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool win (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-1 Queens Park Rangers: Gunners overcome Giroud red card to hold off R’s 1
- Manchester United 3-1 Newcastle United: Rooney stars as Red Devils cruise 0
- Watch Live: Arsenal vs. Queens Park Rangers (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- LIVE – Premier League, at the half: Boxing Day madness, as goals continue to fly in 0