Aug 24, 2013, 11:35 PM EST
Bruce Arena’s two-time defending champs have found their feet and are making that big push down the stretch with authority.
Landon Donovan scored early Saturday as the Galaxy went into B.C. Place in Vancouver and left with a valuable 1-0 win.
In doing so, the Galaxy kept pressure on Real Salt Lake for the Western Conference leadership, in addition to reminding everyone that a Supporters Shield is within reach, too. Arena’s team also dented the Whitecaps’ playoff chances, as Martin Rennie’s men end the night out of post-season positioning. (Vancouver does, however, have a game in hand on FC Dallas, which currently occupies the fifth and final playoff spot in the West.)
Eight MLS rounds remain.
Donovan’s early, well-taken goal was off his left foot, seeming to catch Whitecaps’ goalkeeper David Ousted by surprise, or perhaps leaning the wrong direction. It’s also a great example of what the Galaxy has always done so well under Arena: punish midfield giveaways with a ruthless effectiveness on the counter.
Here are where the Donovan’s pursuit of the league’s all-time goals leadership stands. Los Angeles has nine matches remaining, although Donovan is likely to miss time due to upcoming World Cup qualifiers.
- Jeff Cunningham, 134
- Jaime Moreno, 133
- Landon Donovan, 131
- Ante Razov, 114
- Jason Kreis, 108
And here are the full match highlights, including Donovan’s game-winner from Saturday:
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- USA’s World Cup opponents: What to expect from Germany, Portugal and Ghana 8
- World Cup 2014: Group analysis from Soccerly.com 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues 19
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (38)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (22)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)