Aug 24, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
Bruce Arena’s two-time defending champs have found their feet and are making that big push down the stretch with authority.
Landon Donovan scored early Saturday as the Galaxy went into B.C. Place in Vancouver and left with a valuable 1-0 win.
In doing so, the Galaxy kept pressure on Real Salt Lake for the Western Conference leadership, in addition to reminding everyone that a Supporters Shield is within reach, too. Arena’s team also dented the Whitecaps’ playoff chances, as Martin Rennie’s men end the night out of post-season positioning. (Vancouver does, however, have a game in hand on FC Dallas, which currently occupies the fifth and final playoff spot in the West.)
Eight MLS rounds remain.
Donovan’s early, well-taken goal was off his left foot, seeming to catch Whitecaps’ goalkeeper David Ousted by surprise, or perhaps leaning the wrong direction. It’s also a great example of what the Galaxy has always done so well under Arena: punish midfield giveaways with a ruthless effectiveness on the counter.
Here are where the Donovan’s pursuit of the league’s all-time goals leadership stands. Los Angeles has nine matches remaining, although Donovan is likely to miss time due to upcoming World Cup qualifiers.
- Jeff Cunningham, 134
- Jaime Moreno, 133
- Landon Donovan, 131
- Ante Razov, 114
- Jason Kreis, 108
And here are the full match highlights, including Donovan’s game-winner from Saturday:
- Manchester: A city not united, as Blue and Red converge 0
- PST Extra: Race for the Premier League title 0
- Report: Cardiff, Tan claim to have evidence against Palace in spy accusation 0
- NWSL Digest: Reign, Flash flying as we move past Week 1 2
- Henry, Sam goals see New York break into the win column 0
- Real Madrid beat Barcelona to win Copa del Rey, as Bale’s brilliance seals it 5