Aug 24, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
Bruce Arena’s two-time defending champs have found their feet and are making that big push down the stretch with authority.
Landon Donovan scored early Saturday as the Galaxy went into B.C. Place in Vancouver and left with a valuable 1-0 win.
In doing so, the Galaxy kept pressure on Real Salt Lake for the Western Conference leadership, in addition to reminding everyone that a Supporters Shield is within reach, too. Arena’s team also dented the Whitecaps’ playoff chances, as Martin Rennie’s men end the night out of post-season positioning. (Vancouver does, however, have a game in hand on FC Dallas, which currently occupies the fifth and final playoff spot in the West.)
Eight MLS rounds remain.
Donovan’s early, well-taken goal was off his left foot, seeming to catch Whitecaps’ goalkeeper David Ousted by surprise, or perhaps leaning the wrong direction. It’s also a great example of what the Galaxy has always done so well under Arena: punish midfield giveaways with a ruthless effectiveness on the counter.
Here are where the Donovan’s pursuit of the league’s all-time goals leadership stands. Los Angeles has nine matches remaining, although Donovan is likely to miss time due to upcoming World Cup qualifiers.
- Jeff Cunningham, 134
- Jaime Moreno, 133
- Landon Donovan, 131
- Ante Razov, 114
- Jason Kreis, 108
And here are the full match highlights, including Donovan’s game-winner from Saturday:
- Julian Draxler’s stunning performance puts Chelsea, Premier League on high alert 0
- Yaya Toure’s lackluster display stands out as Manchester City struggle 3
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Roma, Porto win big; Chelsea, PSG slip up 0
- Chelsea 1-1 Schalke 04: Huntelaar secures point for the underdogs 0
- Bayern Munich 1-0 Manchester City: Last-gasp win for Bayern in Bavaria 2
- Men In Blazers podcast: A happy PL return, while Spencer Lanning talks ‘football’ 0