Aug 24, 2013, 9:08 PM EDT
There was a time when Justin Mapp looked like the future of American soccer, 10 or so years back when the man was barely past his teenage years, working the wing so effectively for the Chicago Fire.
But Mapp plateaued a few seasons back, growing stale at Toyota Park and then being passed along to Philadelphia and then to Montreal.
Only this year has Mapp shown signs of a career renaissance, laying down a steady stream of bright performances for Marco Schallibaum’s club.
Mapp was seriously on top of things tonight at Stade Saputo. Houston struggled mightily to contain the Impact midfielder, who always seemed to find the gaps and always seemed to be galloping at the visitors back line.
Mapp assisted on the Impact’s first two goals as Montreal absolutely tore apart Houston on Saturday, 5-0. In all honesty, the assists didn’t represent Mapp’s best work, although they did generate some well-deserved officially record recognition.
Marco Di Viao scored twice, his 14th and 15th goals as the Italian veteran grabs the MLS scoring leadership, at least temporarily. Felipe Martins had a goal and two assists, as the young Brazilian’s influence continues to grow for L’Impact.
Speaking of stats, Mapp now has seven assists, his best today since 2008, his last highly productive year before the breakthrough, ongoing 2013 campaign.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes