Aug 24, 2013, 11:52 PM EDT
Real Salt Lake certainly needed a bit of a boost following last week clunker in Los Angeles, where the club flat-lined against a Galaxy team in good stride.
Mission accomplished, then, as Real Salt Lake took apart visiting Columbus, 4-0.
Kyle Beckerman (pictured) scored twice against the Crew – and when you watch the other fellow’s holding midfielder fill up the score sheet, you know it’s a long night. Jason Kreis’ team out-shot Columbus, 17-4.
It got even longer for the Crew when its best player, Federico Higuain, got himself in big trouble in an incident he will certainly regret. We’ll need to circle back to find out exactly what happened, but there’s no excuse for a veteran and team captain to make such a mistake.
It happened in stoppage time – stoppage time of a 4-0 match! Clearly, it was a frustrating night for the visitors, but whatever Higuain said to officials to collect his second yellow card, it wasn’t worth it.
For picking up his first yellow card, the Crew playmaker was already set to miss the team’s next contest (for accumulation). With the red, he will miss a second match as well – terrible news for a team that cannot drop a single point if it wants to make the playoffs.
Worse yet, the Crew’s next two contests are at home, as Robert Warzycha’s team faces Seattle and Houston going forward, matches that Columbus desperately need.
- Van Gaal has interest in Ronaldo, doesn’t think Real Madrid will sell 2
- Americans Abroad preview: Guzan looks to keep Villa rolling 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 5 1
- Euro 2020 semis, final to be played at Wembley Stadium 1
- Sloppy USWNT 4-0 win over Mexico adds fuel to turf conversation fire 0
- MLS’s new logo: Reddit (yes, Reddit) may have a way to solve the league’s new problem 18