Aug 24, 2013, 11:52 PM EDT
Real Salt Lake certainly needed a bit of a boost following last week clunker in Los Angeles, where the club flat-lined against a Galaxy team in good stride.
Mission accomplished, then, as Real Salt Lake took apart visiting Columbus, 4-0.
Kyle Beckerman (pictured) scored twice against the Crew – and when you watch the other fellow’s holding midfielder fill up the score sheet, you know it’s a long night. Jason Kreis’ team out-shot Columbus, 17-4.
It got even longer for the Crew when its best player, Federico Higuain, got himself in big trouble in an incident he will certainly regret. We’ll need to circle back to find out exactly what happened, but there’s no excuse for a veteran and team captain to make such a mistake.
It happened in stoppage time – stoppage time of a 4-0 match! Clearly, it was a frustrating night for the visitors, but whatever Higuain said to officials to collect his second yellow card, it wasn’t worth it.
For picking up his first yellow card, the Crew playmaker was already set to miss the team’s next contest (for accumulation). With the red, he will miss a second match as well – terrible news for a team that cannot drop a single point if it wants to make the playoffs.
Worse yet, the Crew’s next two contests are at home, as Robert Warzycha’s team faces Seattle and Houston going forward, matches that Columbus desperately need.
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 0
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England
- Thistle Manager Sent Off While Playing For His Team's Under-20s
- Is CONCACAF Champions League Format Working Against MLS?