Aug 24, 2013, 10:07 AM EST
Both Stoke City and Crystal Palace will be searching for their first points of the Premier League season when they meet Saturday at the Britannia Stadium (10 am ET, watch live via NBC Sports Live Extra).
Last week, Stoke launched the season in the early match against Liverpool, with Daniel Sturridge scoring the only goal. The Potters had a chance to equalize late in the second half when Liverpool conceded a penalty kick. However, Jonathan Walters put barely any muscle behind the spot kick, allowing an easy save by Simon Mignolet.
Mignolet may have saved the penalty, but it was Stoke’s keeper, Amir Begovic, that was the true hero of the match. If not for the Bosnian’s heroics, Liverpool might have won by five or six goals. Instead Begovic managed to keep the scoreline a respectable 1-0. No surprise he’s back in goal today.
As for Crystal Palace, they hosted Tottenham Hotspur last week, and also came away with a 1-0 loss. Ian Holloway has made three changes to the side that lost at Spurs, bringing in striker Marouane Chamakh, winger Jason Puncheon and midfielder Jose Campana.
Stoke: Begovic, Cameron, Shawcross, Huth, Pieters, Wilson, Walters, Nzonzi, Adam, Etherington, Crouch.
Subs: Muniesa, Whelan, Pennant, Jones, Wilkinson, Sorensen, Jerome.
Crystal Palace: Speroni, Ward, Gabbidon, Delaney, Moxey, Puncheon, Jedinak, Dikgacoi, Campana, Chamakh, Gayle.
Subs: Phillips, Garvan, Dobbie, Wilbraham, Williams, Alexander, Ramage.
- Chelsea 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Mourinho’s boys win League Cup trophy 0
- Three things we learned from Liverpool’s win vs. Manchester City 3
- Liverpool 2-1 Manchester City: Pair of Reds stunners stupefy City 4
- MLS roundup: LA Galaxy, Orlando, Red Bulls, Union, RSL, 13 others in preseason finales 0
- WATCH: NYCFC’s Mix Diskerud hits a screamer from 20 yards 0
- WATCH: Michael Bradley, Sebastian Giovinco combine for Jozy Altidore’s first Toronto FC goal 4