Aug 24, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Well, what a start for Paolo Di Canio‘s men down on the South Coast.
Giaccherini is only 5 foot 6, so how he managed to head home will certainly cause questions at half time for Southampton.
It was the 28-year-old Italian midfielders first goal since joining this summer from Juventus and Di Canio’s side will be delighted to grab a goal with their first real attack. Especially after the disappointing home defeat to Fulham last time out.
But the linesman had his flag up and Saints were denied an equalizer. It was a tight decision but the assistant referee may have just got the call correct.
Certainly a frantic start down in Southampton, watch the game live on NBCSN and via NBC Sports Live Extra.
- Real Madrid beat Barcelona to win Copa del Rey, as Bale’s brilliance seals it 1
- It’s official: Atlanta gets Major League Soccer’s 22nd franchise 1
- Manchester City 2-2 Sunderland: Two Wickham goals, late Nasri equalizer leave sides even (video) 2
- Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Toffees’ top four hopes take huge hit 6
- Ahead of Atlanta’s expected MLS entry, are NFL stadium shares the way to go? 12
- Premier League Preview: Man City host Sunderland, Everton face Palace 0