Aug 24, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Well, what a start for Paolo Di Canio‘s men down on the South Coast.
Giaccherini is only 5 foot 6, so how he managed to head home will certainly cause questions at half time for Southampton.
It was the 28-year-old Italian midfielders first goal since joining this summer from Juventus and Di Canio’s side will be delighted to grab a goal with their first real attack. Especially after the disappointing home defeat to Fulham last time out.
But the linesman had his flag up and Saints were denied an equalizer. It was a tight decision but the assistant referee may have just got the call correct.
Certainly a frantic start down in Southampton, watch the game live on NBCSN and via NBC Sports Live Extra.
- EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Germany back on track; Portugal beat Serbia, go top 0
- Report: Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner set to sell team to UK group 0
- MLS roundup: Whitecaps, D.C. United win late ones; FCD, Sounders in disappointing draw 1
- MLS Snapshot: FC Dallas 0-0 Seattle Sounders 0
- MLS Snapshot: Vancouver Whitecaps 2-1 Portland Timbers 2
- MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 1-0 LA Galaxy 1