Aug 24, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Well, what a start for Paolo Di Canio‘s men down on the South Coast.
Giaccherini is only 5 foot 6, so how he managed to head home will certainly cause questions at half time for Southampton.
It was the 28-year-old Italian midfielders first goal since joining this summer from Juventus and Di Canio’s side will be delighted to grab a goal with their first real attack. Especially after the disappointing home defeat to Fulham last time out.
But the linesman had his flag up and Saints were denied an equalizer. It was a tight decision but the assistant referee may have just got the call correct.
Certainly a frantic start down in Southampton, watch the game live on NBCSN and via NBC Sports Live Extra.
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 1
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 0
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Team of the Week – Week 1 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Player of the Week: Will Bruin 0
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers