Aron Gunnarsson scores Cardiff City’s first Premier League goal, pulls Bluebirds even with Manchester City
Aug 25, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
It look nearly 150 minutes, but Cardiff City have their first Premier League goal. After being shut out last week at West Ham and for a half today against Manchester City, Icelandic midfielder Aron Gunnarsson has broken through, pulling the Bluebirds even with visiting City, 1-1.
The goal came in the 60th minute at Cardiff City Stadium, with Fraizer Campbell creating Gunnarsson’s small piece of history. Breaking through to the right of goal, Campbell’s tight-angle shot from toward’s Joe Hart‘s goal left the City goalkeeper little open but the parry the shot in front of his goal. There Gunnarsson pounced, his shot restoring the even footing Cardiff had lost eight minutes earlier.
That’s when Edin Dzeko, coming off a masterful Monday performance against Newcastle, opened his 2013-14 account. After a Yaya Touré pass from near the center line, Sergio Agüero, Dzeko’s strike partner, found his Bosnian teammate cutting across the Cardiff defense. In a move reminiscent of City’s second goal against Newcastle, Dzeko and Agüero had switched places, with a nice touch from the Argentine setting up Dzeko for a blast inside David Marshall‘s right post.
City has controlled most of the match, but Cardiff has proved surprisingly resilient in their first Premier League match at home, with captain Craig Bellamy threatening on a pair of first half free kicks. With just over 20 minutes to go, the score remains 1-1, with the managers starting to make their late match changes.
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 0
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0
- WATCH: Special ‘Transfer Deadline Day show’ live online, NBCSN 0
- Reports: Arsenal to fork over $26 mil for Manchester United’s Welbeck 4
- Done Deal: Daley Blind is officially a member of Manchester United 1
- Stoke want to keep USA’s Geoff Cameron, Southampton in the hunt 0