Aug 25, 2013, 6:10 PM EST
Apologies for anything the foursome of ‘keepers do as Round 26 closes tonight, but I believe we have already seen the top two saves of the MLS weekend.
The first is from Saturday, where new LA Galaxy goalkeeper Jaime Penedo did precisely what former starter Carlo Cudicini was not doing previously: he made the big, game-changing save. This was a real “two-pointer,” a second-half stopped that helped ensure his side took all three points (on the road, no less) rather than walking with just one point for the draw.
Robbie Keane called it world class, which it certainly was. Here what Galaxy manager Bruce Arena said about it: “Great save! What more can you say? We’ve not had a lot of these opportunities this year where we can close out a game but we got it done tonight.”
And here was the save:
Case closed, right? I mean, that was seriously acrobatic and instinctual stuff.
But Dan Kennedy’s effort Sunday for Chivas USA wasn’t bad, either. Watch here as he the long-suffering guardian of Chivas USA goal gets across to parry Fabian Espindola’s point-blank effort.
Personally, I still like Penedo’s stop as top save in MLS Round 26 (again, with the caveat of two matches remaining). But you may feel differently. Here’s Kennedy’s stop in the first half Sunday at the StubHub Center against New York:
- Arsenal 5-0 Aston Villa: Gunners torch hapless Villa with deadly counters 0
- Diego Costa maintains his innocence, says “I’ve not done anything wrong” 4
- DONE DEAL: Seydou Doumbia to Roma headlines quiet Saturday for transfers 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Top-half teams jockey for position 0
- Premier League roundup: Big wins for Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham and more 0
- Three things we learned from Chelsea vs. Manchester City 0