Aug 25, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
Apologies for anything the foursome of ‘keepers do as Round 26 closes tonight, but I believe we have already seen the top two saves of the MLS weekend.
The first is from Saturday, where new LA Galaxy goalkeeper Jaime Penedo did precisely what former starter Carlo Cudicini was not doing previously: he made the big, game-changing save. This was a real “two-pointer,” a second-half stopped that helped ensure his side took all three points (on the road, no less) rather than walking with just one point for the draw.
Robbie Keane called it world class, which it certainly was. Here what Galaxy manager Bruce Arena said about it: “Great save! What more can you say? We’ve not had a lot of these opportunities this year where we can close out a game but we got it done tonight.”
And here was the save:
Case closed, right? I mean, that was seriously acrobatic and instinctual stuff.
But Dan Kennedy’s effort Sunday for Chivas USA wasn’t bad, either. Watch here as he the long-suffering guardian of Chivas USA goal gets across to parry Fabian Espindola’s point-blank effort.
Personally, I still like Penedo’s stop as top save in MLS Round 26 (again, with the caveat of two matches remaining). But you may feel differently. Here’s Kennedy’s stop in the first half Sunday at the StubHub Center against New York:
- Jose Mourinho, once again, wins tactical battle against Arsene Wenger 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal vs. Chelsea 8
- Arsenal 0-0 Chelsea: Organized Blues defending effectively ends title race 0
- Who were the biggest snubs in PFA’s Premier League Team of the Season selections? 4
- PFA Team of the Year announced: 6 Blues lead the way 0
- VIDEO: Premier League Sunday preview – Arsenal vs. Chelsea, Everton vs. Manchester United 0