Cardiff City 3-2 Manchester City: Citizens stumble as Bluebirds land first Premier League win (Video)
Aug 25, 2013, 1:01 PM EST
The cliché ‘famous victory’ will be trotted out a number of times this season, but there won’t be a more appropriate use than today’s result at Cardiff City Stadium. That’s where second half goals from Aron Gunnarsson and Fraizer Campbell gave Cardiff the new biggest upset of the season, handing title-contenders Manchester City a surprise 3-2 loss.
Despite some early dead ball chances from Bluebirds’ captain Craig Bellamy, Manchester City were in control through the first hour, with Edin Dzeko‘s early second half goal giving the Sky Blues a lead they seemed to deserve. But things came apart for the visitors at the hour when Campbell created a goal for Gunnarsson, the attacker’s dash through the right of the box ending in a shot Joe Hart had to leave for the oncoming Icelandic midfielder.
Campbell opened his own account 19 minutes later, beating Pablo Zabaleta to a corner Hart should have caught. Heading home from the middle of the six-yard box, the Manchester United product gave the hosts their first lead of the season.
Eight minutes later, Campbell sealed the victory, lost in the box before heading home his second in the 87th minute. Sergio Aguero converted a David Silva cross in injury time, but with four more minutes to find an equalizer, City couldn’t prevent a 3-2 loss.
City came into the match huge favorites, their 4-0 victory over Newcastle on Monday leaving the impression that the Sky Blues would get their first win in Wales since 1954. But without Vincent Kompany at the back, the captain out with a groin injury, City’s defense suffered. With natural midfielder Javi Garcia partnering Joleon Lescott, the Sky Blues were exploited.
As a result, both last year’s second place finishers and the newly promoted Bluebirds sit with identical records after two rounds. City are 1-1-0 with a +3 goal difference, while Cardiff have conceded one more than they’ve scored.
Cardiff City: David Marshall; Matthew Connolly, Steven Caulker, Ben Turner, Andrew Taylor; Gary Medel, Aron Gunnarsson; Peter Whittingham, Kim Bo-Kyung (Jordon Mutch 90′), Craig Bellamy (Don Cowie 83′); Fraizer Campbell (Andreas Cornelius 90′); Unused substitutes: Craig Noone, Joe Lewis, Mark Hudson, Nicky Maynard
Manchester City: Joe Hart; Pablo Zabaleta, Javi Garcia, Joleon Lescott, Gael Clichy; Jesus Navas (Samir Nasri 55′), Yaya Toure, Fernandinho (James Milner 77′), David Silva; Sergio Aguero, Edin Dzeko (Álvaro Negredo 69′); Unused substitutes: Aleksandr Kolarov, Costel Pantilimon, Jack Rodwell, Matija Nastacic
Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Unless a player lifts his shirt over his head, you may never see Intel’s contribution to Barcelona’s uniforms.
Where They Stand: Europa League’s 32 knockout round teams (and their potential effect on UEFA’s coefficients)
Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Italy and Ukraine could see big boosts to their coefficients, with each federation placing four teams in Europa’s knockout rounds.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
How close is PRP to blood doping? Close enough to get the Premier League’s attention.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
D.C. United upgraded half their defense on Thursday. But what are they getting for the money?
Dec 12, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
We saw this coming. Portland traded up on Thursday to snare the former Zip.
Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018
Dec 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Klinsmann’s signed up for another cycle, the U.S. hoping to extend its evolution beyond Brazil.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
This marks the first time a Bundesliga club has played in the league’s summer showcase.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Two big questions this weekend: 1) Can Spurs stop Luis Suarez? and
2) Does City’s midfield rival that of Arsenal?
Dec 12, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Young says, but “for me, the referees have made decisions and that’s it.”
Dec 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Would Moyes really loan Zaha to a competitor like Everton or Newcastle?
Dec 12, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
When looking back at the biggest UK Twitter “surges” of 2013 there is one topic that dominates the landscape: footy.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park