Aug 25, 2013, 9:52 PM EST
Four important points to know about New England’s 5-1 win over Philadelphia on Sunday at Gillette Stadium outside of Boston.
- Jack McInerney didn’t start for Philadelphia. The young striker, who was still an MLS leading scorer in Week 18, has not found goal since June 1. Stuck on 10 goals for two-plus months now, he took a seat on John Hackworth’s bench; we’ll see how the 20-year-old striker deals with it. McInerney did get on the field in the 76th, but the result was decided by then.
- The match looks like a clubbing, but it was quite close for an hour. In fact, Philadelphia had two goals disallowed. More on that one later. Importantly, though, officials got one right and one wrong, and the blown call would have given Philly a 2-1 lead in the second half. It was a real turning point that way; Given Philly’s ability to grind out the results, Hackworth’s team had a reasonable chance at that point to come away with one point, at least.
- New England midfielder Kelyn Rowe scored twice, both on long range strikes. One was merely good, but one was an absolute show-stopper.
- Any and all points are critical now in the Eastern Conference, where a mere five points separates top spot from not making the playoffs. Here are the standings. (Remember, that red line is the playoff qualification demarcation.)
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- USA’s World Cup opponents: What to expect from Germany, Portugal and Ghana 8
- World Cup 2014: Group analysis from Soccerly.com 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues 16
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (38)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (22)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (16)
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld