Aug 25, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
No offense to hard-trying Chivas USA, but there is no other way to see this: dropping points against the Goats represents a big opportunity lost.
So, congratulations, New York Red Bulls. Not only did Chivas USA, still a distant 9th in the 9-team West, win for just the fifth time this year, Jose Luis Real’s club managed to score three goals for the first time since March.
So, good on the Goats for a little joy in a 2013 campaign brought low in so very many ways this year. But when the final playoff positioning is set, the high-profile Red Bulls will surely rue a 3-2 loss Sunday night at the StubHub Center. Chivas USA’s 20-year-old loanee Erick Torres (pictured) had two goals for the Rojiblancos.
This is the same venue and the same team that just days ago handed Dallas it’s first win since June, 11 matches back. The win improved Dallas’ playoff positioning while arresting a long summer slide.
But back to the Red Bulls, who sorely missed star center back Jamison Olave, and will continue to do so. Not that replacement Ibrahim Sekagya is so dreadful (although he did give up a obvious penalty kick at a terrible time, just seconds before the halftime whistle). Rather, it’s that Olave isn’t there to take charge and, more importantly, clean up mistakes from outside backs that can be prone to them.
Still, injured defensive leader or no, there is no justification for losing to Chivas USA. Draws on the road are OK, though not ideal, even against teams that won’t sniff the post-season. But to lose?
And it was no fluke. Both teams created quality chances, Chivas just did a little better at putting theirs away. New York’s top, blown opportunity, by the way, was from none other than Thierry Henry. The All-Star Frenchman pushed his uncontested right-footed shot from 12 yards wide in the second half.
- Lessons from 2010 say U.S. squad as much about opportunity, circumstances as youth 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 2
- U.S. roster for Czech Republic: Quick look at some of the newer names 4
- Plenty of surprises in US national team roster for Czech Republic friendly 1
- Analysis: Arsenal, Manchester City handed tough Champions League draw 1
- Full draw: European giants collide as UEFA Champions League groups set 7