Aug 27, 2013, 3:31 PM EST
After leaving West Bromwich Albion’s 0-0 tie with Everton on Saturday in the 77th minute, Baggies goalkeeper Ben Foster will be out for up to three months with a stress fracture in his foot, the club announced on Tuesday. It will require surgery.
West Brom will get Boaz Myhill back from his own injury in time to start against Swansea City on Sunday. Welsh international Myhill, who was born in Modesto, Calif., started training again on Monday after a wrist injury. Former Manchester United trainee Luke Daniels came on for Foster against Everton.
“There’s no hiding the fact this is disappointing news, as Ben is a key player for us,” West Brom manager Steve Clarke told the club website. “He was excellent on Saturday before his injury forced him off. In the meantime, I’ve got two other very good goalkeepers to choose from.”
Foster has been on course recently to challenge Joe Hart for the starting spot on the English national team, but those hopes will be derailed for a while with this injury. Both men were set to be on the England roster for upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Moldova and Ukraine, but the job is seemingly Hart’s to lose now.
In 2011, Foster announced he would take a hiatus from international soccer to better allow himself to heal from niggling injuries that resulted in a downturn in form. In March 2013, England manager Roy Hodgson named Foster in the squad to face San Marino and Montenegro in qualifiers.
On Tuesday, as he announced the 27-man roster for England’s latest tests, Hodgson lamented not having Foster available for selection:
Hodgson on Ben Foster injury: ‘It’s a great pity. He’s been in exceedingly good form. He’s our No 2 #eng‘
— Henry Winter (@henrywinter) August 27, 2013
- MLS, union come together to avoid calamitous work stoppage 6
- Wednesday’s Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Man City win; six of top seven prevail 0
- Jose Mourinho says his Chelsea team “were brothers on the pitch” in crucial win 0
- West Ham United 0-1 Chelsea: Hazard’s header enough for league leaders (video) 0
- Queens Park Rangers 1-2 Arsenal: Red-hot Giroud helps Gunners to win (video) 0
- Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester United: Krul gaffe spoils Jonas return (video) 4