Cascadia Cup trash talk – over Seattle’s Clint Dempsey! How great is this?

Aug 27, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT

Clint Dempsey

Let’s be clear about two things when it comes to Cascadia Cup and trash talk:

First, we don’t really need additional conflict on what is already the league’s top rivalry. It’s already pretty awesome.

Second, never mind that, because it is even more awesome with trash talk.

Portland center back Pa Modou Kah was something less than impressed with Seattle Sounders man of the moment Clint Dempsey, who made his CenturyLink Field debut with his new club Sunday.

The Sounders finished on top in this version of Major League Soccer’s top rivalry (a 1-0 victory), one that goes back to the 1970s during both clubs’ North American Soccer League days. But that didn’t stop Kah from tossing a bit of accelerant on the rivalry. On Dempsey he said:

He’s the best player in MLS? If he’s the best…I’ve seen much, much better in Europe. … If he was so good, he would still be at Tottenham.”

A couple of points:

Dempsey’s signing is important for a lot of reasons, but many of them symbolic. It’s about an important player in Europe, at the top of his game, making the choice to come back into MLS. It’s about an American being the league’s highest paid man.

But that doesn’t make Dempsey the “best player in MLS.” I’m not sure anyone ever said so … not people who really understand what’s going on, at least. He’s an impact player, and surely one of the best. But let’s not spill over the top with hyperbole here.

Further, Kah was lucky to see out the 90 minutes Sunday. He should have been cautioned (and ejected, as it would have been his second booking) for kneeing Eddie Johnson in the back of the head.

Given his fortune, maybe it would have been better for Kah not to call any more attention to himself than was absolutely necessary.

1. bizzmeister - Aug 27, 2013 at 8:27 PM

What a bitch, he seems butt hurt.

• Michael - Aug 28, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Someone who went through four clubs in less than two years should perhaps not snipe at a player sought by an English top-5 side and then for a league record transfer fee.

The idea that Kah should back up his trash talk with better on-field play is absurd — he’s incapable of good on-field play.

2. rhaaland - Aug 27, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I’d like to know where, exactly, in Europe Ka has seen better players than Dempsey. The best club Ka has played for is a pretty mediocre (read: crappy) Erividisie side. Unless he’s talking about all the times he bought tickets to EPL, Bundesliga, or Serie A games, I”m not sure where he saw all these great players.

3. mlsconvert88888 - Aug 27, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Ha, Kah definitely should try and be low key after his part in the game, but to his point, Dempsey wasn’t very impressive in that game either.

4. hildezero - Aug 27, 2013 at 9:58 PM

The fact is, Deuce IS the best player in the MLS. If it’s not him, then it’s Di Vaio. Trash talking is always stupid and should be a big no-no. Although, with this one I’m okay with, even though Kah’s comments were absurd. This IS a rivalry after all.

• midtec2005 - Aug 28, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I tend to throw Robbie Keane in the mixer for that title too, simply because his soccer IQ is off the charts.

5. mkbryant3 - Aug 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Wow, great analysis, bizzmeister.

• bizzmeister - Aug 30, 2013 at 9:57 PM

lmao thanks, im glad you agree.

6. mdac1012 - Aug 27, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I have no problem with trash talking, especially in a rivalry, now lets see Ka back it up with his play next time.

7. midtec2005 - Aug 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I’m not from the Northeast so I didn’t know about this rivalry a few years ago, but my god… it’s real. Unlike many of the other rivalries, Columbus and Toronto? Really? (I’ll make my case for another Ohio team some other time).

• kthomasd - Aug 28, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I think your geography is a little off.

8. jackalope78 - Aug 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I’m a Portlander, so I am a little biased here. That being said, Kah should be sent packing. He made us look bad. And, even worse, lost us the game. I don’t want my home club to be associated with that kind of poor tom-foolery. It’s not sporting.

9. talgrath - Aug 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM

“I saw better in Europe, and then I kicked them in the shins until I was sent off because that’s how I defend.” – Pa Modou Kah

PST Extra: The Manchester derby