Aug 27, 2013, 9:28 PM EST
Generally speaking, a player from Europe saying he “would be interested” in MLS someday should generate all the excitement of a plain white rice meal.
These assertions typically mean zilch, frequently amounting to zilch. After all, what is a player supposed to say when some member of the fourth estate sticks a recorder in his face and asks, “Would you ever play in MLS?” The only answer that doesn’t make you look like a jerk or a nitwit is, “Of course I would consider it someday!”
But the news this morning (well, let’s call it “news-lite”) that Major League Soccer has piqued some interest in Manchester City defender Gael Clichy actually has a little something behind it.
Clichy (pictured above) has clearly spoken to fellow Frenchman Thierry Henry on the subject. What Clichy told Goal.com about Henry: “He says he loves New York and says MLS is getting bigger each year. It makes you think that if the opportunity comes, why not try MLS?”
In this case, Henry’s endorsement carries substantial weight; New York’s star striker is one of the best players ever produced out of France, perhaps second best over the last 30 years, behind only peerless attacker Zinedine Zidane.
Further, don’t forget that NYCFC will be owned by Manchester City. That’s Clichy’s current Premier League address. So it’s no extraordinary leap to wonder if the 28-year-old back may stay “in the family,” so to speak, whether that’s straight-away or a couple of years into the club’s existence.
NYCFC begins play in 2015.
- MLS Cup 2013 Starting Lineups: Wingert, Saborío in; Sporting unchanged 0
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 2
- Premier League Roundup: Upsets galore as Manchester United, Chelsea lose (video) 0
- Jose Mourinho: “We’re in trouble” after Chelsea’s defeat to Stoke 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (40)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (22)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)