Aug 27, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
The Premier League Player of the Week for Week 2 is Cardiff City’s Fraizer Campbell.
Campbell’s brace came in a nine minute span in the second half, with both goals the result of hard-work, determination and the dusting of Manchester City full-back Pablo Zabaleta. While the pay-dirt came late, the danger that Campbell presented was writing that had been on the wall for most of the match.
The 25 year spent the first half chasing down loose balls and wracking Joe Hart‘s nerves with a few good looks on target. In the second stanza Campbell continued to display a third lung as he hunted down defenders, worked himself back on defense and was a constant menace in the box.
In the 60th minute it was Campbell’s creative abilities that allowed Aron Gunnarsson to level before winning the match on two headers off of corners in the 79th and 87th minutes. When he was subbed off the field in the 93rd minute, Campbell was deservedly showered with a standing ovation from the Cardiff City faithful.
For Campbell, the adulation had been a long time coming. The Manchester United academy product made only two appearances for the Red Devils before loan spells at Royal Antwerp, Hull City and Tottenham saw him transfer to Sunderland in 2009. It was in Wearside where Campbell’s career took a turn for the worse as he twice blew out his knee, requiring surgery.
Last January he made his move to Cardiff City, who paid the Black Cats a measly transfer fee of $930,000 (£600k). With Sunday’s brace, Campbell has bagged 9 goals in 14 matches with the Bluebirds.
- Should Roberto Martinez be starting Gerard Deulofeu? 1
- Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer 3
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014