Aug 27, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
The Premier League Player of the Week for Week 2 is Cardiff City’s Fraizer Campbell.
Campbell’s brace came in a nine minute span in the second half, with both goals the result of hard-work, determination and the dusting of Manchester City full-back Pablo Zabaleta. While the pay-dirt came late, the danger that Campbell presented was writing that had been on the wall for most of the match.
The 25 year spent the first half chasing down loose balls and wracking Joe Hart‘s nerves with a few good looks on target. In the second stanza Campbell continued to display a third lung as he hunted down defenders, worked himself back on defense and was a constant menace in the box.
In the 60th minute it was Campbell’s creative abilities that allowed Aron Gunnarsson to level before winning the match on two headers off of corners in the 79th and 87th minutes. When he was subbed off the field in the 93rd minute, Campbell was deservedly showered with a standing ovation from the Cardiff City faithful.
For Campbell, the adulation had been a long time coming. The Manchester United academy product made only two appearances for the Red Devils before loan spells at Royal Antwerp, Hull City and Tottenham saw him transfer to Sunderland in 2009. It was in Wearside where Campbell’s career took a turn for the worse as he twice blew out his knee, requiring surgery.
Last January he made his move to Cardiff City, who paid the Black Cats a measly transfer fee of $930,000 (£600k). With Sunday’s brace, Campbell has bagged 9 goals in 14 matches with the Bluebirds.
- Preview: Early cycle friendly shelves normal questions for U.S. national team’s return 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – The faith-destroying edition 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: LA Galaxy’s Landon Donovan 0
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 6
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 1
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 14