Aug 27, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
Despite some low-frequency signals recently that his future may lie elsewhere, LA Galaxy star Landon Donovan will apparently finish his career in the United States with Major League Soccer after all.
SI.com’s Grant Wahl says the 31-year-old Galaxy star has reached agreement on a new, multi-year deal with the two-time defending league champs.
Here’s why this is significant, even beyond competitive implications for the ongoing season, as this eliminates any chance (small as it was) of Donovan moving in the current transfer window and keeps his head focused squarely on driving Galaxy attempts to become the first MLS club with three consecutive MLS titles.
- While this does not ensure Donovan will remain in MLS through the duration of his playing days, it certainly becomes the obvious likelihood. At 31, this could be Donovan’s final contract. Considering that he contemplated retirement just a few months ago, Donovan seems unlikely to be the guy who keeps pushing through the sprains and strains and taxing plane trips into his late-30s.
- Donovan could still move overseas at some point, although his 14-year professional history tells how unlikely that is. Still, as with the recent Omar Gonzalez deal, this secures the Galaxy’s ability to make a buck off any move. Otherwise, Donovan could have moved in the winter on a free transfer.
- This means Donovan will almost certainly become Major League Soccer’s all-time leading scorer.
- Don’t forget, Donovan is currently 20 assists short of that all-time league record, as well. If he holds both, he could be the only player ever to do so … and would likely hold that distinction for a very long time.
There is one more reason why this will be an important moment for Major League Soccer, once it becomes official. We’ll get into that one a bit later at ProSoccerTalk.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Which Liverpool player picked up the Player of the Week accolade?
Apr 16, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Both sides look to cash in on matches in hand at the Etihad.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Can Tim Howard and the Toffees win their eighth-straight game? Watch live online, right here:
Apr 16, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Having MLS teams share their home with NFL sides could be a smart move ahead of the next wave of expansion:
Apr 16, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Find out who made the PL Team of the Week, right here:
Apr 16, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Two PL matches take place on Wednesday, with both set to impact the top and bottom of the standings:
Apr 16, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
Are you ready to get ‘Duff-ed?’
Apr 16, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Watch all 10 PL games across 10 different channels on final day of the season. All the details, right here:
Apr 16, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
PlayStation, mafia-style fights, Gattuso and not feeling pressure… welcome to the extremely cool world of Pirlo:
Apr 16, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT
Ahead of their cup final with Real Madrid, here’s why Barca must prevail:
Apr 16, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
MLS heading to the Twin Cities?
Apr 16, 2014, 7:58 AM EDT
Kroos’ camp say he won’t move on until 2015, as Bayern and United scrap over German star.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:15 AM EDT
The top 10 best paid sports teams in the world revealed. Find out who pays the most, right here:
Apr 15, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
Mexico’s top two teams reach halftime of their two-legged final, with leg two kickoff next Wednesday in Toluca.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
The top four remain unchanged, while Houston, New England, and Portland make big shifts on this week’s chart.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
Thoughts from NBCSN’s analysts as will as footage from Rodgers’, Martínez’s speeches at Anfield.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Three LA Galaxy players join two members of the Columbus Crew in our Best XI.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
Gunners go back into the top four, but can they hold off Everton?
Apr 15, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Four soccer players rank amount the world’s top 25 earners.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
Columbus’s Costa Rican international is the latest player to donate to MLS Works.
- Ahead of Atlanta’s expected MLS entry, are NFL stadium shares the way to go? 4
- Premier League Preview: Man City host Sunderland, Everton face Palace 0
- NBC to air all 10 Premier League games on final day in “Championship Sunday” extravaganza 4
- Minnesota Vikings “stepping up” bid for MLS franchise 9
- Manchester City the best paid team in sport, beat New York Yankees to accolade 4
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 6 1