Aug 27, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
The Roo looks likely to stay in Manchester.
Sky Sports is reporting that less than a day after Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho issued Wayne Rooney a 48 hour ultimatum to make his mind up on a move to Stamford Bridge, the Manchester United striker has decided against handing in a transfer request.
Following the nil-nil draw between United and Chelsea the Portuguese manager said: “We are not so silly as to try to get a player from a big club, a club that doesn’t sell what they don’t want to sell; we are not so silly as to try to do something if somebody didn’t start it.
“The person that started the story has to finish the story. For the good of everyone it is time to finish the story. One way or another he has to say ‘I want to leave’ or ‘I want to stay’.”
When further questioned how long he’d be willing to wait before moving onto other targets, Mourinho said: “Twenty-four hours, 48 hours.”
As is standard operating procedure for Wazza, he has yet to come out and actually speak on the matter but Sky is nevertheless confident in their “sources” that Rooney won’t be leaving the friendly confines of Old Trafford.
And friendly they certainly were last night where the 27 year old’s every move was cheered on by the United faithful. Rooney’s display was a jolt of electricity amongst an otherwise dark and dull night, save perhaps a few John Terry interceptions and Nemanja Vidic tackles.
With Rooney seemingly out of the picture, the focus for Mourinho will turn to bringing in one more piece before the transfer window slams shut on September 2nd. From all indications that piece will be a striker and his name is Samuel Eto’o.
The move will come as a blow to Fernando Torres, Romelu Lukaku and Demba Ba, who received powerful insight on their manager’s opinion of them last night when he chose to start the match in a 4-2-4 striker-less formation.
A move for Eto’o will not only reunite Mourinho with a player who helped his Inter Milan side claim the treble in 2010 but will also mark the second deal done with Anzhi Makhachkala following last week’s scoop of Brazilian attacking midfielder, Willian.
The move for Eto’o will likely mean curtains for Torres or Ba at Stamford Bridge. Expect that move to come, at the latest, by the 2014 January transfer window.
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad