Jürgen Klinsmann names U.S. roster for Costa Rica, Mexico qualifiers

Aug 29, 2013, 3:38 PM EST

Arm in arm members of the U.S. Men's National Team pause in a moment of silence for the 19 firefighters killed in Arizona before their soccer match against the Guatemala Men's National Team in San Diego Reuters

Eschewing his usual propensity to wait until the last minute, United States head coach Jürgen Klinsmann announced his roster for the team’s next two qualifiers on Thursday. The coach usually likes to wait until after the weekend matches, but he went live on SportsCenter to make this unusually early announcement.

Landon Donovan will make his competitive return for the U.S., and John Brooks and Aron Jóhannsson could make their debuts in a meaningful match after impressing in the Aug. 14 win in Bosnia-Herzegovina. The usual suspects are here as well, with the expected goalkeeping corps and Il generale, Michael Bradley, holding down the fort.

Full U.S. roster for September World Cup qualifiers:

Goalkeepers (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa/England), Tim Howard (Everton/England), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake/MLS)

Defenders (8): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla/Mexico), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City/MLS), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin/Germany), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/England), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana/Mexico), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC/MLS), Omar González (Los Angeles Galaxy/MLS), Michael Orozco (Puebla/Mexico)

Midfielders (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake/MLS), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes/France), Michael Bradley (AS Roma/Italy), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg/Norway), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim/Germany), Jermaine Jones (Schalke/Germany), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City/MLS)

Forwards (5): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland/England), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC/MLS), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy/MLS), Aron Jóhannsson (AZ Alkmaar/Netherlands), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC/MLS)

We’ll have roster analysis and reactions coming soon, as well as highlights of Klinsmann’s upcoming conference call with the media. In the meantime, give us your take in the comments section. What do you think of this roster?

1. paxonst - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Barring any injuries, this is our WC squad. No Goodson, which is a good thing. Also, it looks like Diskerud had move out Edu. Kinda suprised to see E. Castillo named to the squad. He’s descent going forward, but a weak defender.

• walkoff3 - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Agree on Castillo. Would have rather seen Parkhurst there as I thought he did enough in the Gold Cup to get another look.

• mikeevergreen - Sep 5, 2013 at 2:18 PM

They have Casitllo in there because they’re not going to be playing defend then counterattack, they’re going to get in Costa Rica’s face. They’re not playing in AstroTurfLand (Saprissa), they’re playing a tthe Nacional, which has grass, and plays better to the USA’s offensive wants.

2. danielofthedale - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Very glad to see that we could be cap tying JAB very soon. Interesting to see Fabian listed at Midfield this time as he has always been listed with the Defenders in the past I think. Good to see though since I think Fabian is the best Left Winger we have.

Also why bold out the names of the those that play in the EPL?

• midtec2005 - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:31 PM

“Also why bold out the names of the those that play in the EPL?”

Because that’s all this website cares about now.

• bayoor75 - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:57 PM

The bold names indicate that the name is linked to a profile. And, it’s not European based players that are bolded, it is just premier league based players (or in Dempsey’s case, former PL player).

• Liviu Bird - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:38 PM

It’s an automatic tagging system in our content management system. It only works for Premier League teams/players.

• danielofthedale - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Thanks for the response.

• tomcatfl - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:41 PM

The bold names are links to another site with EPL player stats.

3. sa371916 - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Line ups?

Howard, Beasly, Besler, Gonzalez, Evans, F Johnson, Bradley, Cameron, Zusi, Dempsey, Altidore w/ Donovan an automatic 2nd half sub

• wfjackson3 - Aug 29, 2013 at 6:56 PM

—————Howard——————-
      –Evans—JAB—Besler—Run DMB–
      ———Bradley—Jones————-
      Zusi—————————Johnson
      —————Dempsey—————-
      ———-Altidore———————–

I could also see Dempsey out left, Zusi in the middle, and Donovan out right.

4. mdac1012 - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I like the inclusions of Jóhannsson and Brooks in this roster, and I agree that cap tying Brooks is important.

• mikeevergreen - Sep 5, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I’d start Johannsson up with Altidore, based on familiarity with each other (I think between the two they scored 50 goals over all competitions at Alkmaar last year).

5. interesting29 - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I like the inclusion of Johannsson too, and capping Brooks will be important. Poor Terrence Boyd, got snubbed out, didn’t understand why he wasn’t included in the Gold Cup to prove himself.

And I also think that E. Castillo should have been left out for Parkhurst, who was the stronger defender in the Gold Cup. Also strange to not see Corona, but I guess if he’s in, someone has to be out. But he could be in the roster for the remaining qualifiers.

• pstevenson1082 - Aug 30, 2013 at 4:47 AM

Orozco, I believe, can play RB or LB and JK likes Davis, so……. Everyone knows that Castillo hates playing LB and we are stacked in the MF so he probably won’t make the Brazil roster. We need a LB so Fabian can stay at LW where he is most dangerous.

6. midtec2005 - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:34 PM

It will be interesting to see if and how he works Donovan, Dempsey, and Zusi into the lineup together… Could we see Dempsey at LM?

• tomcatfl - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I’d rather see Dempsey and Altidore paired up front, with Zusi on the right and Donovan at center attacking mid, in front of Bradley in a diamond midfield 4-4-2. Perhaps Bedoya on the left? A bit risky defensively not to have two holding mids in JK’s more usual 4-5-1, but neither Jones or Beckerman thrill me pairing with Bradley. I’d like to see it at least tried.

• danielofthedale - Aug 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM

So you want Bradley having to do all the defensive work and have very little chance to go forward?

I think Dempsey’s best spot is behind the striker, Jozy in this case. I love Fabian on the Left! I think Zusi gets to start over Landon untill Landon wins the starting job back with the A-Team which we could do. I just like what Landon could give off the bench as a super sub.

• midtec2005 - Aug 29, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I agree with daniel, MB is much more than a defensive mid these days. He’s the engine of the team, here and at Roma.

• tomcatfl - Aug 30, 2013 at 9:50 AM

@midtec: I understand that MB is more than a defensive player. That’s the risk with not pairing him with a more stay at home guy, because I don’t expect him to stay back all the time. If our back four were better, I’d feel more comfortable suggesting this, to be sure. I’m just considering if getting the additional offensive firepower up front with Altidore, Dempsey, Donovan and Zusi all on the field together with Bradley setting them up from the middle, just might be worth a look, at least within CONCACAF. A top opponent would require something different

• tarotsujimoto74 - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Our team definitely seems at its most dangerous when attacking down the wings and whipping in crosses. I don’t think using Dempsey out wide would be the best plan, Fabian Johnson has been great over there.

• midtec2005 - Aug 29, 2013 at 7:13 PM

This is true, but Beasley is the exact type of LB needed to provide width… because Dempsey wouldn’t. We know from Dempseys time at Fulham that he is really good at playing on the left and cutting back inside. That option would allow Donovan to play with Jozy. I think LD is probably better in that role than Dempsey, but it’s a close call. Dempsey does have the advantage of being the incumbent though.

7. bobinkc - Aug 29, 2013 at 5:09 PM

It interests me that Graham Zusi has been selected again since Sporting Kansas City has been without his services for quite some time now due to injury. He has yet to make an appearance in an SKC game, so why would Klinsman take a player with him who probably will not be able to appear in the game? I really don’t Zusi to lose his chance at WCP play, but with an injury that has kept him off the pitch, I don’t think this is the wisest of moves. Besides, I’m selfish, I’d like to see him play again here in Kansas City first.

• talgrath - Aug 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Zusi played against Chicago, he should be fit enough to go at least as a sub by the first game on the 6th.

8. chesschum - Aug 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM

You’re wrong about Zusi. He played against the Chicago
    Fire a few days ago, showing no ill effects that I could tell.

9. geojock - Aug 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM

In other news US Soccer also announced that from now on it will not only announce the players for qualifiers, but also dictate which leaders will represent the fans each game. :/

• talgrath - Aug 29, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Except that whole thing was lies from a bitter Columbus capo. What the American Outlaws were/are trying to do is ensure there are enough capos (aka, those guys on the stands that lead the chants and songs) for the game. Not enough people from Columbus volunteered to be capos, so they accepted volunteers from out of state who are paying to go to the game. One capo was either not paying attention in the meeting or was simply upset that people from outside the state would be capos at the match, so he wrote an article claiming that Seattle capos are now going to be running the show at every USMNT home match.

• midtec2005 - Aug 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM

This is interesting that it was completely faked. However it is still going to piss off the fans in Columbus. The game against Jamaica last year in C-bus was the best atmosphere ever (I think better than Seattle… Seattle just had more people). There wasn’t a problem then…

It will be interesting to see if the animosity carries over to the upcoming Sounders match in Columbus.

• talgrath - Aug 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Personally, I don’t think there is a better atmosphere for soccer in the US than Seattle, but I’m also a tad biased. That said, trying to do Seattle stuff in Columbus probably wouldn’t work, BOOM BOOM CLAP loses a bit of its potency when it isn’t being done en mass by 30,000+ fans, for example and a lot of Seattle-area chants don’t make sense in other settings. That said, by all appearances Columbus capos are still running the show, by and large, in Columbus; certainly a little extra animosity from the crowd couldn’t hurt the upcoming game between Seattle and Columbus.

• geojock - Aug 30, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I also thank you for inventing the game of soccer and supporters.

• talgrath - Aug 30, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Awww, geojock is angry that I pointed out the facts behind his post and it doesn’t match the storyline he likes in which US Soccer is somehow controlling the American Outlaws (they aren’t) and trying to setup some sort of fan support gestapo.

10. player169 - Aug 29, 2013 at 7:33 PM

——————–HOWARD——————
    Evans——-Gonzo–Besler——-Beasley
    —————-Bradley————————–
    ———Zusi———————(Unknown)—–
    —————Dempsey—–Donovan—
    ———————Altidore———————

Best lineup with one undecided…probably Jones or Johnson unfortunately. I see Dempsey and Donovan swapping up with Altidore in a diamond 4-4-2….

• markburst - Sep 3, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I liked the way Geoff Cameron played as a DM so he is the missing piece, I would push Bradley up and slide Donovan into your unknown spot. Not quite a diamond 4-4-2, more like a 4-1-3-2.

11. ingloriousclos - Aug 30, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Great article but why did you only highlight Premier League players? Like seriously, get the hell over yourselves that’s disrespectful to the many other Americans who put on the same jersey and have in some cases better records and more caps than your “highlight” players. Rude and self-absorbed. I know you guys are pushing the marketing in this league but you don’t need to do it with our own national team.

• nbcrollaround - Aug 30, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Its not that big of a deal. I’m not saying that you need to get over yourself or anything but I just ignored it.
      Do you really need a link to Landon Donovan?
      Most of the non linked players are MLS, Mexican, or German league players. They need to earn their link!
      Just kidding go USA!

12. nbcrollaround - Aug 30, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Good looking line up. It is nice to see Altidore and Johannsson having a chance to play up front together.
    Nice article as well.
    Didn’t catch sports center as I ignore ESPN unless there is a football match on.
    Did JK announce this roster on ESPN before he announced elsewhere?
    Is this match being played at Estadio Nacional?

13. toggablogga - Aug 31, 2013 at 2:45 PM

The United States have a very talented side. Klinsmann has them organised and up for a challenge. Great to see how you have adopted football (soccer), and how far you have come in recent years.

14. markburst - Sep 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM