Aug 29, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Two soccer fans in California were arrested on Wednesday, four months after a Portland Timbers fan was left battered and bruised, claiming a group of San Jose Earthquakes fans broke his car windshield before the two teams met on April 14.
The Oregonian has the full story, excerpted here:
Jennifer Marques, 29, and Uriel Vargas, 21, were arrested by U.S. Marshals in Santa Clara, Calif., Wednesday, Portland police said. They were booked into the Santa Clara County Jail and are expected to be extradited to Oregon.
Marques faces assault, unlawful entry of a motor vehicle, harassment and disorderly conduct charges. Vargas is accused of criminal mischief, harassment and disorderly conduct.
Police said additional suspects have been identified and they may also face criminal charges.
(Of course, it’s important to note that Marques and Vargas have not been formally charged with anything yet.)
The Portland, Ore., paper also posted a video of the victim, 40-year-old James Decker, telling his story and showing his car with the windshield kicked in:
ESPN reporter Jeffrey Carlisle confirmed shortly after that story was published that at least one of those arrested is a member of the 1906 Ultras, the Earthquakes supporters’ group that has run afoul of its club’s front office on a few occasions this season.
1906 Ultras founder Dan Margarit confirmed that one of the fans arrested in Portland incident is a @1906Ultras member.
— Jeff Carlisle (@JeffreyCarlisle) August 29, 2013
The 1906 Ultras responded to news of the arrests on their website Thursday morning:
This is another step in the process to moving forward and moving beyond the incident. … As a group we don’t condone violence and will continue to work to prevent incidents like these from occurring again.
- MLS, union come together to avoid calamitous work stoppage 6
- Wednesday’s Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Man City win; six of top seven prevail 0
- Jose Mourinho says his Chelsea team “were brothers on the pitch” in crucial win 0
- West Ham United 0-1 Chelsea: Hazard’s header enough for league leaders (video) 0
- Queens Park Rangers 1-2 Arsenal: Red-hot Giroud helps Gunners to win (video) 0
- Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester United: Krul gaffe spoils Jonas return (video) 4