Aug 30, 2013, 9:34 PM EDT
This deal was supposed to be done last week, and even after Gareth Bale returned to London from Spain, his inevitable transfer to Real Madrid was still supposed to be done this week. But “supposed to be” is something we’ve heard so often, we’ve reached a point where nothing’s to be believed until the kits are unveiled (unveiled somewhere other than Real Madrid’s online store).
Yet late tonight, from one of Spain’s most well-known outlets, we’re hearing word that player and club have finally agreed to personal terms, with only fine details to be worked out between the clubs standing in the way of the move being finalized. That outlet, AS, reports Bale has agreed to a six-year deal with Real Madrid, though they cite British media in reporting a $133 million (€101 million) fee:
Real Madrid have completed the transfer of Gareth Bale on a six-year deal. Reports in the British media insist that ‘Los Blancos’ have paid Tottenham 101 million euros (£86.16 million) for the Wales international. At this stage, all that remains for the deal to be made official is agreement between club and player on details concerning image rights and currency exchange.
Ultimately, this doesn’t add much to the story’s current state, as few assumed personal terms would be a stumbling block when talking about a club with Real Madrid’s resources. But if you’re looking for reasons that this deal, which even AS described as “inevitable” in tonight’s report, might not happen, scratch potential contract problems off that list. Bale and Real appear to have come to terms.
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 3
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 1
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1