Aug 30, 2013, 10:30 PM EST
This may not be a major trophy, but neither Bayern Munich nor Chelsea held back today in Prague. Both teams started what could be argued as their strongest possible sides, with Chelsea breaking the bubble wrap around David Luiz for their match against Europe’s champions. Rather than approach the game as an exhibition and use tactics closer to what will be their regular approach, José Mourinho instilled the type of plan usually reserved for heavy underdogs or the knockout rounds of UEFA Champions League.
The approach made for a lot of tension today in Prague, where Chelsea’s robust defending left a possession-hogging Bayern on Petr Cech‘s doorstep, rarely able to get through to goal. A last second goal from Javi Martínez eventually busted down that door, leading to Bayern’s eventual win on penalty kicks, but until then, it looked like Mourinho’s plan was about to give Chelsea their third European trophy in 15 months.
Though it wasn’t meant to be, the final product was still one of the best UEFA Super Cups in recent memory, the highlights from which are above. For the first time in their club’s history, Bayern Munich claimed the Super Cup, with Pep Guardiola winning his first trophy in Germany.
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) 9
- Manchester derby in cards for League Cup final 1
- Brendan Rodgers cool on re-signing Luis Suarez to a new deal 2
- Abby Wambach’s 2011 goal against Brazil voted best moment in U.S. Soccer history 2
- Young’s blast, Evra’s insurance see Manchester United into League Cup semifinals 0
- Late Jarvis, Maiga goals see West Ham past Tottenham, into League Cup semifinals 2
- Report: Clint Dempsey will join Fulham on Jan. 1 for two-month loan (12)
- Spurs in hunt for new boss after sacking Andre Villas-Boas (10)
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) (9)
- Mexico’s Monterrey dumped out of FIFA Club World Cup (7)
- Rafa Marquez about to re-connect with MLS (7)
- Hodgson's Manaus Plan is Flawed
- Wilmer Cabrera on WC Draw: ''It's an Even Group''
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit