Aug 31, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
As Crystal Palace prepare to host Sunderland, they’d do well not to remember this particular statistic: As the whistle blows for kickoff, it’ll be 3052 days since Palace last won a home match in the Premier League. Will today be the day Palace break that particular streak? Watch live at 12:30 p.m. ET on NBC and via NBC Sports Live Extra.
Sunderland are keen to find their first win of the season. Under Paolo Di Canio, the Black Cats have added some interesting new players, making them much more appealing for the neutral viewer. However, they’ve picked up just a point this season, last week against Southampton when new signing Emanuele Giaccherini saw his early goal canceled out by a late strike from Jose Fonte. That makes just one goal for Sunderland this season, as they fell 0-1 to Fulham in the first round.
As for Crystal Palace, well, they think it might be nice to have a mere point. Their first match was a toughie, hosting Tottenham Hotspur. Last week Palace were ahead at the half, but a resurgent Stoke managed two goals in four minutes to kill all hope for the Premier League newcomers.
So will it be a first three points for either side? Or are we set for a dreary draw?
Crystal Palace: Speroni, Ward, Gabbidon, Delaney, Moxey, Dikgacoi, Jedinak, Campana, Puncheon, Gayle, Chamakh
Sunderland: Westwood, Celustka, Colback, O’Shea ©, Diakite, Larsson, Vaughan, Johnson, Giaccherini, Dong-won, Wickham.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 3
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 3
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 5
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 3