Aug 31, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
Newcastle look for their first win of the season to come at St. James’ Park (10 am ET, watch live via NBC Sports Live Extra). The Magpies were resoundingly beaten 4-0 by Manchester City in the first round, but managed to hold West Ham to a scoreless draw last time around.
Alan Pardew is looking for something, anything, outside the norm from his side. Newcastle managed not a single shot on target against West Ham, and had just one against Manchester City. Perhaps the extra spark may come from the bench? After rumored interest from Arsenal last week, Yohan Cabaye refused to play last week against West Ham, but the temperamental midfielder makes the bench this week. Striker Loic Remy joins Cabaye in bench-warming duty, having almost fully recovered from his calf injury.
The visitors didn’t have the best time of it last week, going down 3-0 to Arsenal at Craven Cottage. Sure, on-loan forward Darren Bent did manage to put one in, but that was nothing but a 77th minute consolation goal. Fulham may have won their first match of the season, 1-0 against Sunderland, but even in picking up all three points didn’t manage to convince, as Paolo Di Canio‘s men looked the better of the two sides.
So will this match prove a breakthrough for either of these struggling sides? We’ll find out soon enough.
Newcastle: Krul; Debuchy, Coloccini, Yanga-Mbiwa, Santon; Ben Arfa, Anita, Sissoko, Marveaux; Shola Ameobi, Cissé
Fulham: Stockdale; Riether, Hangeland, Hughes, Riise; Kacaniklic, Sidwell, Parker, Ruiz; Berbatov, Bent
- TV SCHEDULE: Premier League finale – 10 games, 10 channels on Championship Sunday 0
- Geoff Cameron takes us behind-the-scenes at Stoke City 1
- Brendan Rodgers insists Raheem Sterling will remain at Liverpool 0
- US Open Cup draw: Sounders-Timbers, NYCFC-NY Cosmos highlight possible 4th-round clashes 0
- Agent: Sterling wouldn’t sign new Liverpool deal, even for $1.4 million a week 6
- Leicester, QPR, Burnley players earn England call-ups for June matches 2