Sep 1, 2013, 8:23 AM EST
The rivalry match is here, as Anfield will play host to one of the bigger fixtures of the season no question.
This will be a massive blow to a United squad that had only recently gotten Rooney back from the same problem a few weeks ago, and had seen his form take huge strides forward after speculation of his exit.
The English attacker played exceptionally well the last few weeks, and will be sorely missed. However, it will be an opportunity for Danny Welbeck to continue his impressive form, as Welbeck gets the start against the Reds. It would also be fair to assume Shinji Kagawa may get a chance to impress now with Rooney sidelined for the time being.
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 0
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 3
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 2
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 2
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 1
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 1
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (20)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (16)