Sep 1, 2013, 8:23 AM EST
The rivalry match is here, as Anfield will play host to one of the bigger fixtures of the season no question.
This will be a massive blow to a United squad that had only recently gotten Rooney back from the same problem a few weeks ago, and had seen his form take huge strides forward after speculation of his exit.
The English attacker played exceptionally well the last few weeks, and will be sorely missed. However, it will be an opportunity for Danny Welbeck to continue his impressive form, as Welbeck gets the start against the Reds. It would also be fair to assume Shinji Kagawa may get a chance to impress now with Rooney sidelined for the time being.
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 9
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes
- Players to Watch: Montreal Impact
- Ireland's Premier Division Season Kicks off
- Away-Goal Rule is the Novelty for this Year's MLS Playoffs
- Barrett Nails Last Minute Goal for Seattle 1-0 Victory
- Three Things: Chelsea 4-0 Spurs
- FIFA Fines Argentine Clubs for Fake Transfers