Sep 2, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
Liverpool have been the biggest movers in the Premier League on transfer deadline day so far.
Brendan Rodgers has already added three new signings to his Anfield squad, with French international defender Mamadou Sakho joining on a long-term deal, Victor Moses arriving from Chelsea on loan and young central defender Tiago Ilori arriving from Sporting Lisbon.
It’s no surprise the Reds have moved to bolster their backline after injuries and the retirement of Jamie Carragher last season has left them very thin on the ground at the back.
Sakho, 23, is by far the highest profile arrival with the former PSG center back seen as one of Europe’s best up and coming defenders. Sakho has been capped 14 times by France since making his debut in 2010 and Liverpool have apparently paid over $24 million to bring him to England.
The defender will bring power and leadership to Liverpool’s backline and he’s aiming for big things in the future.
“My aim while I am here is to play in the Champions League with Liverpool,” Sakho said. “I remember their teams when they were in the competition when I was younger. With the team we have, and the means put at the disposal of the players, the technical support and the whole club and its supporters are in a good position to get there. This is our objective.”
As for Moses, he joins for the season on after being told he’s not in José Mourinho’s plans at Chelsea. The 22-year-old winger played in 41 games for Chelsea last year and scored 10 goals. Moses should provide plenty of competition for a spot out wide in Liverpool’s attack and gives the Reds more attacking options.
And Ilori is a promising defender who Liverpool have been after all summer, with the 20-year-old London born defender eager to push on and compete for a starting spot. Though born in England, Ilori has represented Portugal at U18, U19 and U20 level and is one for the future.
Will Liverpool add more new faces by the end of today? And more importantly, will Luis Suárez still be at Anfield later this evening?
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 2
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs