Sep 3, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
The debate about whether Clint Dempsey’s move from England’s Premier League into Major League Soccer – an emerging and improving league by the global game’s standards, but clearly not up to Premier League chops in 2013 – surely will spin on and on. Mark it down: we will bicker about that one into and beyond Brazil 2014.
But even those who were twisted up and red-faced about Dempsey’s move into MLS would have to admit, the move just might pay some quick dividends over the next two World Cup qualifiers, Friday’s in Costa Rica and then next week’s biggie, the home match against Mexico. Here’s why:
Dempsey had to get into action with Seattle a little quicker than anyone expected. In his first match in Sounders rave green, back on Aug. 10 in Toronto, an injury to fellow Sounders forward Obafemi Martins’ meant an early call off the bench for the debuting Dempsey.
Since then, the important U.S. international has started three matches, going all 90 minutes in all three. So he’s playing regularly and probably approaching top fitness.
What are the chances Dempsey would have played so extensively had he remained in North London with Spurs? Given the attacking options at Andre Villas-Boas’ disposal around White Hart Lane, the clear answer is “not likely at all.”
Jozy Altidore’s iffy status for Friday makes Dempsey – and the ability to get the very most from him – that much more important.
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 3
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season