Sep 3, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
The debate about whether Clint Dempsey’s move from England’s Premier League into Major League Soccer – an emerging and improving league by the global game’s standards, but clearly not up to Premier League chops in 2013 – surely will spin on and on. Mark it down: we will bicker about that one into and beyond Brazil 2014.
But even those who were twisted up and red-faced about Dempsey’s move into MLS would have to admit, the move just might pay some quick dividends over the next two World Cup qualifiers, Friday’s in Costa Rica and then next week’s biggie, the home match against Mexico. Here’s why:
Dempsey had to get into action with Seattle a little quicker than anyone expected. In his first match in Sounders rave green, back on Aug. 10 in Toronto, an injury to fellow Sounders forward Obafemi Martins’ meant an early call off the bench for the debuting Dempsey.
Since then, the important U.S. international has started three matches, going all 90 minutes in all three. So he’s playing regularly and probably approaching top fitness.
What are the chances Dempsey would have played so extensively had he remained in North London with Spurs? Given the attacking options at Andre Villas-Boas’ disposal around White Hart Lane, the clear answer is “not likely at all.”
Jozy Altidore’s iffy status for Friday makes Dempsey – and the ability to get the very most from him – that much more important.
- Arsenal could be own worst enemy as title challenge sees tension rise 0
- Arsenal 1-1 Everton: Late breakthroughs cancel as Deulofeu denies Arsenal all 3 points (Video) 2
- Real Salt Lake manager Jason Kreis sounds like a man about to leave 3
- Premier League Sunday Preview: Arsenal host Everton, Aston Villa travel to Fulham 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (30)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)