Sep 3, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
The debate about whether Clint Dempsey’s move from England’s Premier League into Major League Soccer – an emerging and improving league by the global game’s standards, but clearly not up to Premier League chops in 2013 – surely will spin on and on. Mark it down: we will bicker about that one into and beyond Brazil 2014.
But even those who were twisted up and red-faced about Dempsey’s move into MLS would have to admit, the move just might pay some quick dividends over the next two World Cup qualifiers, Friday’s in Costa Rica and then next week’s biggie, the home match against Mexico. Here’s why:
Dempsey had to get into action with Seattle a little quicker than anyone expected. In his first match in Sounders rave green, back on Aug. 10 in Toronto, an injury to fellow Sounders forward Obafemi Martins’ meant an early call off the bench for the debuting Dempsey.
Since then, the important U.S. international has started three matches, going all 90 minutes in all three. So he’s playing regularly and probably approaching top fitness.
What are the chances Dempsey would have played so extensively had he remained in North London with Spurs? Given the attacking options at Andre Villas-Boas’ disposal around White Hart Lane, the clear answer is “not likely at all.”
Jozy Altidore’s iffy status for Friday makes Dempsey – and the ability to get the very most from him – that much more important.
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014