Mesut Ozil says Real Madrid lost faith in him

Sep 3, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT

Mesut Ozil New Face of Adidas Getty Images

Mesut Ozil claims that he joined Arsenal after Real Madrid lost faith in him.

Speaking to the German football federation’s website, http://www.dfb.de, Ozil discussed what prompted his transfer out of La Liga and into the Premier League. Apparently, all was going well for Ozil and Madrid until this past weekend when the club put pen to paper securing the world-record signing of Gareth Bale from Tottenham.

It was at that point that Ozil recognized that he no longer had the faith of manager Carlo Ancelotti.

“At  the weekend, I was certain that I would stay at Real Madrid but afterwards I realized that I did not have the faith from the coach or the bosses. I am a player who needs this faith and that is what I have felt from Arsenal, which is why I have joined.”

Yet where faith was lost in Ancelotti, it was gained in Wenger.

“I am really looking forward to it because I have the faith of [Wenger]. I had spoken to him at length on the telephone, he explained his plans and that he has faith in me – that is what I need as a player. I am looking forward to the new challenge. I have already heard that they have super fans, the city is great and the team is fantastic.

“Wenger gives me the faith and I can develop further. I know what I can do and I know that I could make the grade with any club in the world because I am so convinced in myself, but if I don’t feel people have faith in me, then that is why I had to leave. At Arsenal, I feel I have this fully. I am sure the new coach is going to develop me further and I am also really looking forward to playing in the Premier League.”

Ozil’s comments will come as welcome news to Arsenal supporters, some of whom have questioned Wenger’s ability to bring top players into the club. Clearly Ozil was impressed by the Gunners boss, who has tracked the midfielder since he impressed at Werder Bremen.

Latest Posts
  1. MLS weekend preview: Conference leaders, surging Galaxy take to NBC, NBCSN

Aug 1, 2014, 1:03 AM EDT

graham_zusi Getty Images

A nine-match weekend sees MLS return to NBC, with NBCSN set to broadcast games in Kansas City, San Francisco.

2. José Mourinho insists Chelsea needs Fernando Torres

Jul 31, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT

Chelsea's Fernando Torres celebrates scoring a goal against Manchester City during their English Premier League soccer match at Stamford Bridge in London Reuters

Manager remains insistent the Spanish international will stay at Stamford Bridge.

3. George John undergoes season-ending knee surgery

Jul 31, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT

George John 3

Successful procedure marks the end of John’s 2014 hopes.

4. For Napoli, hairstyle part of Marouane Fellaini’s appeal

Jul 31, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT

Fellaini Getty Images

De Laurentiis confirms the partenopei’s interest in the afro-laden star.

5. Clarence Goodson set to miss eight more weeks

Jul 31, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT

clarence_goodson Getty Images

Toe injury to sideline the U.S. international for an estimated 10 games.

6. Second thing Brian Ching doesn’t like: NWSL cooling breaks

Jul 31, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT

Brian Ching 2

No. 1: Eddie Johnson. No. 2: These new-fangled rules.

7. Talented US youngsters sign for Spanish sides Sevilla, Espanyol

Jul 31, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT

Sevilla

Young Americans set to blaze trail in La Liga academies.

8. Ignacio Piatti’s move to Montréal may cost him a place in Copa Libertadores’ final

Jul 31, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT

ignacio_perez_garcia AP

San Lorenzo is in Copa’s finals, but Piatti is unlikely to join them.

9. Can Stevan Jovetic, Scott Sinclair break into Manchester City’s lineup?

Jul 31, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT

International Champions Cup 2014 - Manchester City v Liverpool Getty Images

Two players who spent plenty of time on the sidelines last season are pushing to be integral parts of Manuel Pellegrini’s plans.

10. Matías Pérez García announced, becomes third Designated Player in San Jose history

Jul 31, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT

san_jose_earthquakes_logo

29-year-old Argentina arrives from Tigre, becoming the club’s third Designated Player of all-time.

11. Is Everton’s new striker Romelu Lukaku worth $47 million?

Jul 31, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT

Romelu Lukaku

Everton’s frugality gave way to necessity. Is Lukaku worth it the serious cash they splashed?

12. A list of Manchester United-linked names to consider in silly season

Jul 31, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT

twitter.com/officialsslazio twitter.com/officialsslazio

Remember when Marco Reus, Dries Mertens and Leighton Baines solidified Manchester United’s status in Europe? Us neither.

13. Rhode Island man sues Cristiano Ronaldo over CR7 trademark

Jul 31, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT

FBL-ESP-CUP-REALMADRID-ATLETICOMADRID Getty Images

Cristiano Ronaldo and Christopher Renzi are looking horns over the CR7 trademark.

14. Report: Ochoa to Malaga is on as Mexican goalkeeper replaces Caballero

Jul 31, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT

Guillermo Ochoa AP

Guillermo Ochoa starred in the 2014 World Cup for Mexico, and now will try to fill Willy Caballero’s shoes at Malaga.

15. Sierra Leone squad banned from traveling as Ebola virus spreads

Jul 31, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT

Sierra Leone Getty Images

As deadly virus continues to spread, the Seychelles refuse to let Sierra Leone travel for qualifier.

16. Video: Pepe spits on Keita; Latter claims past racial slur

Jul 31, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT

Ashley Cole, Pepe AP

Seydou Keita has left Barcelona, but being in a different league has not stopped the animosity between the AS Roma midfielder and Real Madrid’s Pepe.

17. Steven Gerrard: “Luis Suarez too good for Arsenal”

Jul 31, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT

Suarez and Gerrard both nominated for PFA award, as Liverpool dominate. AP

Gerrard: “With all due respect to them, I said to Suarez that he was too good for Arsenal.”

18. SI report: Bayern high on Julian Green, turned down PL loan offers

Jul 31, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT

Bayern Munich's Julian Green fights for the ball with Al-Merrikh's Ramadan Ajab during their friendly soccer match in Doha Reuters

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said several Premier League teams had interest in 19-year-old American striker Julian Green.

19. Eddie Johnson response to Brian Ching’s criticism? “Scoreboard”

Jul 31, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT

South Korea v United States Getty Images

Ching said his former USMNT teammate needs incentive-laden contracts to thrive, while Johnson claims Ching is jealous.

20. Thursday transfer rumor roundup: Kljestan to Galaxy, USMNT’er to Crew?

Jul 31, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT

kljestan Getty Images

Jermaine Jones is not the only US midfielder rumored to come home, while two Red Devils are tipped for Madrid.