Mesut Ozil says Real Madrid lost faith in him

Sep 3, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT

Mesut Ozil New Face of Adidas Getty Images

Mesut Ozil claims that he joined Arsenal after Real Madrid lost faith in him.

Speaking to the German football federation’s website, http://www.dfb.de, Ozil discussed what prompted his transfer out of La Liga and into the Premier League. Apparently, all was going well for Ozil and Madrid until this past weekend when the club put pen to paper securing the world-record signing of Gareth Bale from Tottenham.

It was at that point that Ozil recognized that he no longer had the faith of manager Carlo Ancelotti.

“At  the weekend, I was certain that I would stay at Real Madrid but afterwards I realized that I did not have the faith from the coach or the bosses. I am a player who needs this faith and that is what I have felt from Arsenal, which is why I have joined.”

Yet where faith was lost in Ancelotti, it was gained in Wenger.

“I am really looking forward to it because I have the faith of [Wenger]. I had spoken to him at length on the telephone, he explained his plans and that he has faith in me – that is what I need as a player. I am looking forward to the new challenge. I have already heard that they have super fans, the city is great and the team is fantastic.

“Wenger gives me the faith and I can develop further. I know what I can do and I know that I could make the grade with any club in the world because I am so convinced in myself, but if I don’t feel people have faith in me, then that is why I had to leave. At Arsenal, I feel I have this fully. I am sure the new coach is going to develop me further and I am also really looking forward to playing in the Premier League.”

Ozil’s comments will come as welcome news to Arsenal supporters, some of whom have questioned Wenger’s ability to bring top players into the club. Clearly Ozil was impressed by the Gunners boss, who has tracked the midfielder since he impressed at Werder Bremen.

Latest Posts
  1. Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool

Apr 24, 2015, 7:46 PM EDT

Aston Villa v Liverpool - FA Cup Semi-Final Aston Villa v Liverpool - FA Cup Semi-Final

The Baggies must defend The Hawthorns as Liverpool is barely clinging on to top-four dreams.

2. Hull City players face pay cuts up to 50-percent if relegated

Apr 24, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Swansea City v Hull City - Premier League Swansea City v Hull City - Premier League

Clinging onto safety in the Premier League, Hull City players now have some added incentive to avoid the drop.

3. Van Gaal: Ryan Giggs will be the next manager at Manchester United

Apr 24, 2015, 5:37 PM EDT

Manchester United Training and Press Conference Manchester United Training and Press Conference

Still in his first season as manager at Old Trafford, LVG has already endorsed his top assistant to be the next in line.

4. Premier League Preview: Manchester City vs. Aston Villa

Apr 24, 2015, 4:42 PM EDT

Can Tim Sherwood and Aston Villa continue their climb up the table at the Etihad?

5. SportsWorld: Jose Fonte talks playing with Ronaldo, shares thoughts on MLS

Apr 24, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT

Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton - Premier League Getty Images

PST’s Joe Prince-Wright sat down with the Southampton defender to see how the Saints’ skipper has evolved into one of the best center-backs in the Premier League.

6. VIDEO: PST Extra asks if Liverpool, Manchester City should get new managers

Apr 24, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT

Liverpool v Manchester City Getty Images

In the latest PST Extra we take a quick look at why whispers about managers losing their jobs at Liverpool, Man City are getting louder.

7. Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Time for the underdogs to shine

Apr 24, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT

Chelsea v Burnley - Premier League Getty Images

PST’s Lead Writer and Editor predicts the scores in the PL this weekend.

8. Could Tottenham share their stadium with an NFL team? Here’s how it will work

Apr 24, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT

SPURSSTADIUM1

Spurs are reportedly in talks with the NFL about housing a franchise in their new stadium.

9. VIDEO: PST Extra picks Premier League’s Best XI from 2014-15 season. Agree?

Apr 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League Getty Images

What do you think of these 11 players getting Team of the Year honors?

10. WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 34

Apr 24, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT

PremierLeagueNBC

Where and how to watch every PL game during Week 34.

11. Jose Mourinho: “Arsene Wenger is not my rival” ahead of Arsenal vs. Chelsea

Apr 24, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT

WengerMourinho Getty Images

Mourinho stirs the pot before huge clash with Arsenal on Sunday.

12. Premier League Preview: Southampton vs. Tottenham Hotspur

Apr 24, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT

Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton - Premier League Getty Images

Can Saints get revenge on Pochettino as he returns to St Mary’s? Watch live, Saturday, 7:45 a.m ET.

13. Injury update on Chelsea’s Diego Costa. Is he fit for London derby vs. Arsenal?

Apr 24, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT

Chelsea v Liverpool - Capital One Cup Semi-Final: Second Leg Getty Images

Jose Mourinho has delivered an update on Costa’s progress ahead of Sunday’s big game.

14. Pochettino: Avoiding Europa League could help Spurs make Champions League next year

Apr 23, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT

Mauricio Pochettino, Tottenham Hotspur FC Getty Images

Mauricio Pochettino feels that any team not having to contend with Europa League has a better chance of qualifying for Champions League.

15. With Manchester City circling, Bayern Munich plan to extend Pep Guardiola’s contract

Apr 23, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT

Pep Guardiola, FC Bayern Munich Pep Guardiola, FC Bayern Munich

Hands off our Pep, Man City. Bayern exec says Guardiola is going nowhere.

16. Fuel on the fire — Sporting KC’s Feilhaber says “I’ve never liked Real Salt Lake”

Apr 23, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT

Benny Feilhaber, Sporting KC & Kyle Beckerman, Real Salt Lake Getty Images

Sporting KC vs. Real Salt Lake is inching ever closer to Most Hated Rivalry in MLS.

17. Could Chelsea call upon 17-year-old striker Dominic Solanke to start against Arsenal?

Apr 23, 2015, 7:21 PM EDT

Dominic Solanke, Chelsea FC Getty Images

It’s the biggest game of Chelsea’s season, and Mourinho might have to start a 17-year-old at striker.

18. Ancelotti expects Bale, Benzema to return “quickly” for Champions League semifinal

Apr 23, 2015, 6:11 PM EDT

Karim Benzema & Gareth Bale, Real Madrid CF Karim Benzema & Gareth Bale, Real Madrid CF

With the return of Bale and Benzema imminent, Ancelotti seems to think Real Madrid are the Champions League favorites.

Should Chelsea be more entertaining?