Mesut Ozil says Real Madrid lost faith in him

Sep 3, 2013, 2:17 PM EST

Mesut Ozil New Face of Adidas Getty Images

Mesut Ozil claims that he joined Arsenal after Real Madrid lost faith in him.

Speaking to the German football federation’s website, http://www.dfb.de, Ozil discussed what prompted his transfer out of La Liga and into the Premier League. Apparently, all was going well for Ozil and Madrid until this past weekend when the club put pen to paper securing the world-record signing of Gareth Bale from Tottenham.

It was at that point that Ozil recognized that he no longer had the faith of manager Carlo Ancelotti.

“At  the weekend, I was certain that I would stay at Real Madrid but afterwards I realized that I did not have the faith from the coach or the bosses. I am a player who needs this faith and that is what I have felt from Arsenal, which is why I have joined.”

Yet where faith was lost in Ancelotti, it was gained in Wenger.

“I am really looking forward to it because I have the faith of [Wenger]. I had spoken to him at length on the telephone, he explained his plans and that he has faith in me – that is what I need as a player. I am looking forward to the new challenge. I have already heard that they have super fans, the city is great and the team is fantastic.

“Wenger gives me the faith and I can develop further. I know what I can do and I know that I could make the grade with any club in the world because I am so convinced in myself, but if I don’t feel people have faith in me, then that is why I had to leave. At Arsenal, I feel I have this fully. I am sure the new coach is going to develop me further and I am also really looking forward to playing in the Premier League.”

Ozil’s comments will come as welcome news to Arsenal supporters, some of whom have questioned Wenger’s ability to bring top players into the club. Clearly Ozil was impressed by the Gunners boss, who has tracked the midfielder since he impressed at Werder Bremen.

Latest Posts
  1. Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS

Jan 29, 2015, 5:36 PM EST

Juan Agudelo, FC Utrecht Juan Agudelo, FC Utrecht

Agudelo is back in MLS, where he probably should have been all along.

2. Russia to cut budget for 2018 World Cup, as economy continues to struggle

Jan 29, 2015, 3:18 PM EST

FIFA FIFA

Putin and Russia have already had to cut costs for the 2018 World Cup.

3. Alexis Sanchez an injury concern for Arsenal

Jan 29, 2015, 2:43 PM EST

Arsenal v Southampton - Premier League

Arsenal’s main man is touch and go for this weekend’s game against Aston Villa.

4. Daniel Sturridge could return from injury for Liverpool this weekend against West Ham

Jan 29, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

Liverpool FC Training Session Liverpool FC Training Session

Liverpool’s leading striker could return to action this Saturday after five months out.

5. How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash?

Jan 29, 2015, 1:02 PM EST

Manchester City v Chelsea - Premier League Getty Images

With players out and title dreams on the line, how will Chelsea and City line up on Saturday?

6. VIDEO: Jurgen Klinsmann’s a stud, backheels TWO balls at the same time

Jan 29, 2015, 11:43 AM EST

jurgen_klinsmann Getty Images

Watch Klinsmann’s insane piece of skill from the friendly vs. Chile on Wednesday. My word.

7. Lots drawn: Guinea in, Mali out as Africa Cup of Nations quarterfinals set

Jan 29, 2015, 11:08 AM EST

FBL-AFR-2015-MATCH24-GUI-MLI FBL-AFR-2015-MATCH24-GUI-MLI

Guinea won the lottery and are through to the last eight. Here’s the quarterfinal field for AFCON.

8. Freddy Adu heading back to MLS? Reports claims two teams interested

Jan 29, 2015, 9:45 AM EST

Fredy Adu made his first start for Bahia in Brazil. Getty Images

Former D.C. United, RSL and Union player heading back home?

9. DONE DEAL: Arsenal, West Brom and Villarreal all got new players Wednesday

Jan 28, 2015, 11:10 PM EST

arsenal.com arsenal.com

So what went down on Wednesday, as the transfer window took another step toward slamming shut?

10. VIDEO: Christian Eriksen scores a free kick for the ages in League Cup semi

Jan 28, 2015, 10:20 PM EST

Sheffield United v Tottenham Hotspur - Capital One Cup Semi-Final: Second Leg Getty Images

Set up for a free kick outside the 18, Eriksen not only sent an arrow whizzing over the goal, but he managed to spin it into the far upper 90.

11. Real Madrid will change the name of the Santiago Bernabeu

Jan 28, 2015, 9:58 PM EST

Bernabeu Getty Images

The La Liga giant has woked out a sponsorship deal with United Arab Emirates-based International Petroleum Investment Company (IPIC).

12. USMNT postgame reaction: Jozy unsure of 3-5-2, Klinsmann explains changes

Jan 28, 2015, 9:17 PM EST

Klinsmann AP

Jurgen Klinsmann remained upbeat, while Jozy Altidore was obviously disappointed.

13. Player Ratings: Some good, some not so good in Chile’s 3-2 win over the U.S.

Jan 28, 2015, 8:42 PM EST

Chile US Soccer AP

Breaking down the good, the bad and the ugly from Wednesday’s 3-2 loss in Chile.

14. 3-5-2 system shows life, but plenty of work is needed

Jan 28, 2015, 8:15 PM EST

Yedlin Getty Images

Jurgen Klinsmann said he played the 3-CB system because he had DeAndre Yedlin available. So did it work?

15. Chile 3-2 USMNT: Another lead disintegrates for Klinsmann’s crew

Jan 28, 2015, 8:00 PM EST

Chile US Soccer AP

Another match fell apart in a haze of substitutions and mistakes as the United States blew a 2-1 lead in Rancagua on Wednesday night.

16. WATCH: Yedlin to Diskerud to Altidore, and U.S. goes up 2-1 over Chile

Jan 28, 2015, 7:03 PM EST

Honduras v United States Getty Images

Maybe Sunderland just doesn’t know how to use its forwards.

Top five Premier League goals: Week 22