Mesut Ozil says Real Madrid lost faith in him

Sep 3, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT

Mesut Ozil New Face of Adidas Getty Images

Mesut Ozil claims that he joined Arsenal after Real Madrid lost faith in him.

Speaking to the German football federation’s website, http://www.dfb.de, Ozil discussed what prompted his transfer out of La Liga and into the Premier League. Apparently, all was going well for Ozil and Madrid until this past weekend when the club put pen to paper securing the world-record signing of Gareth Bale from Tottenham.

It was at that point that Ozil recognized that he no longer had the faith of manager Carlo Ancelotti.

“At  the weekend, I was certain that I would stay at Real Madrid but afterwards I realized that I did not have the faith from the coach or the bosses. I am a player who needs this faith and that is what I have felt from Arsenal, which is why I have joined.”

Yet where faith was lost in Ancelotti, it was gained in Wenger.

“I am really looking forward to it because I have the faith of [Wenger]. I had spoken to him at length on the telephone, he explained his plans and that he has faith in me – that is what I need as a player. I am looking forward to the new challenge. I have already heard that they have super fans, the city is great and the team is fantastic.

“Wenger gives me the faith and I can develop further. I know what I can do and I know that I could make the grade with any club in the world because I am so convinced in myself, but if I don’t feel people have faith in me, then that is why I had to leave. At Arsenal, I feel I have this fully. I am sure the new coach is going to develop me further and I am also really looking forward to playing in the Premier League.”

Ozil’s comments will come as welcome news to Arsenal supporters, some of whom have questioned Wenger’s ability to bring top players into the club. Clearly Ozil was impressed by the Gunners boss, who has tracked the midfielder since he impressed at Werder Bremen.

Latest Posts
  1. MLS Sunday review: Toronto FC ease to victory against lowly Chivas USA

Sep 22, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT

toronto_fc AP

Toronto FC vs. Chivas USA was the only MLS match to occur on Sunday.

2. La Liga and Serie A roundup: Real Madrid smokes Deportivo, Juve downs Milan

Sep 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT

cristiano_ronaldo AP

Roundup of Serie A and La Liga matches from the weekend.

3. Manchester City’s Zabaleta believes Diego Costa luckily escaped red card

Sep 21, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT

manchester-city-pablo-zabaleta Getty Images

Manchester City defender Pablo Zabaleta thinks the referee let Diego Costa off without a red card during their encounter that spurred a red card for the Argentine.

4. Barcelona stays undefeated with 5-0 drubbing of Levante

Sep 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT

FC Barcelona v SL Benfica - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

Barcelona beat Levante 5-0 on Sunday to continue their winning streak in all competitions.

5. Joe Hart’s Manchester City future in limbo, Liverpool may target the goalkeeper

Sep 21, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT

Can England start to churn out talents such as Joe Hart from SGP on a regular basis? Getty Images

Manchester City goalie Joe Hart confirmed that he hadn’t discussed a new contract with the club, and Liverpool is a prime candidate for his services, according to the Metro.

6. Merseyside police to explore racist comments at Mario Balotelli

Sep 21, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT

hi-res-133f09d31924ea9d682e1f1a8a3ffef1_crop_north Getty Images

More racism was thrown at Mario Balotelli, but this time, it appears law enforcement will get involved.

7. Mesut Ozil, Danny Welbeck brandish skills in 3-0 win over Aston Villa

Sep 21, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT

Mesut Özil returns for Arsenal as they attempt to reclaim the top of the Premier League table with a win over Stoke. AP

Mesut Ozil and Danny Welbeck scored and assisted each other during the Gunners 3-0 win over Aston Villa.

8. WATCH: Alessandro Florenzi embraces grandmother in stands after goal

Sep 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Unknown Getty Images

Alessandro Florenzi hugged and kissed his grandmother in the Stade Olimpico stands following his goal in AS Roma’s 2-0 victory over Cagliari.

9. Roberto Martinez on Crystal Palace loss: ‘We didn’t have that real drive about us’

Sep 21, 2014, 3:34 PM EDT

Martinez AP

Everton manager Roberto Martinez laments loss to Crystal Palace, saying that his squad lost its drive for victory.

10. Daniel Sturridge reacts to Lampard’s equalizer against Chelsea

Sep 21, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT

Lampard Getty Images

One England international paid respects to another as a legend scored an emotional goal for his new team against his old.

11. Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO)

Sep 21, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT

Lampard AP

We didn’t see this coming, and neither did Frank Lampard.

12. Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT

Zabaleta AP

Pablo Zabaleta’s second yellow card changed the game, but a former Chelsea legend came back to haunt them.

13. Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Visitors overwhelm Goodson with deadly counters (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT

PalaceEverton

Everton started early and saw much of the ball but Crystal Palace got a few breaks and took advantage to pick up their first win of the season.

14. Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter

Sep 21, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT

Balotelli AP

Mario Balotelli put an LOL up on Twitter at Manchester United’s expense, and subjected himself to some horrible racial abuse.

15. VIDEO: Angel Di Maria scores stunning chip for Manchester United

Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT

ManchesterUnited AP

Despite heavy defeat, United’s new attacker scores goal of the season contender.

16. Watch Live: Everton vs. Crystal Palace (Lineups)

Sep 21, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT

Everton Getty Images

Everton has sewn the seeds for a good run of form and are hoping to build on recent success against a struggling Palace squad.

17. Watch Live: Manchester City vs. Chelsea (Lineups)

Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT

Costa AP

Diego Costa hsa been in fantastic form to begin his Premier League career, and has the chance to fire Chelsea five points clear at the top of the table.

18. Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT

LCFCvMUFC Getty Images

Manchester United were left shell-shocked after blowing a 3-1 lead against Premier League minnows.

19. Tottenham 0-1 West Brom: Baggies get off the bottom with deserved win (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT

WestBrom Getty Images

Spurs offered little as James Morrison propelled West Brom off the bottom of the table.

Week 5: Top five Premier League goals