Sep 3, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
Almost in the footnotes of a Scotland Herald story on Sunday came a report that Scotland head coach Gordon Strachan is “close to announcing a home friendly against USA.”
The match would reportedly take place in November, during the Nov. 15-19 FIFA calendar window for international matches. The Washington Post’s Steven Goff, who also posted the link to the Herald story, said on Twitter that the United States would likely be playing two friendlies in Europe during the window:
— Steven Goff (@SoccerInsider) September 3, 2013
Scotland is a team in recent disarray, mathematically eliminated from 2014 World Cup qualification with three matches to go by way of its one win, four losses, two ties record in Group A of UEFA qualifying. However, its next chance at a major tournament has improved as Euro 2016 in France will be played with an expanded 24-team field.
Last time the U.S. played Scotland, in Jacksonville, Fla., in May 2012, Landon Donovan scored a hat trick as the U.S. pasted a 5-1 win over the Scots. In November, with World Cup qualifying complete, the U.S. would be tuning up for the tournament next summer, making a match in Europe ideal for gathering its first-choice squad for head coach Jürgen Klinsmann to begin trimming it down.
The next FIFA friendly date on the official calendar after November is on March 5.
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes