Sep 4, 2013, 7:09 PM EDT
Where Major League Soccer’s Rookie of the Year race stands after Round 27:
1. Colorado Rapids midfielder Dillon Powers:
The versatile midfield man was hardly at his best in Saturday’s loss to Sporting Kansas City, snapping the Rapids’ nine-game unbeaten streak. This piece from the Burgundy Wave blog says Powers (pictured) looks a bit worn out. It wouldn’t be the first time a first-year man hits “the wall,” as they say.
Still, Powers’ larger body of work continues to speak for itself. He’s still the man to beat.
2. Colorado Rapids forward Deshorn Brown:
If Powers is still the man to beat, his lead is shrinking. Brown scored his seventh goal (along with four assists) two weeks ago in the Rapids’ 2-0 win over Western Conference rival Vancouver. He’s still behind pace to match Damani Ralph’s MLS rookie goals record of 11, set back in 2003 with Chicago. Still, anything in the range of 8-10 goals is a strong, strong case for Rookie of the Year, particularly if he continues to lead his team in scoring, which is the case today.
Also in the running: Seattle’s DeAndre Yedlin, New England’s Andrew Farrell, LA Galaxy’s Gyasi Zardes.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win