Wayne Rooney answers critics, posts pictures of gruesome gash to Facebook

Sep 4, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT

Rooney, pictured above running away from Chelsea's Eden Hazard, has played in two of United's three Premier League games this season, picking up two assists in the team's opening day weekend win at Swansea City. Starting his 10th season at the club, Rooney has 141 league goals in 280 Manchester United appearances. Getty Images

If you clicked on a post that has the word “gruesome” in the headline, you don’t need this warning, but I feel obliged to put this at the top: These pictures are graphic. They’re gross. They’re being posted because people do, in fact, want this information, but you may not be one of those people.

You may have just believed the story: Wayne Rooney, left out of Manchester United’s team for Sunday’s trip to Anfield, would not participate for England this week. A training ground clash of heads with teammate Phil Jones opened up a huge gash on his forehead, the story went, but as with all things Wayne Rooney (or, all things English soccer) there was an unhealthy amount of suspicion. With players often pulling out of international duty with minor or manufactured injuries (albeit, not World Cup Qualifiers), some questioned Rooney’s commitment to the Three Lions, even if huge, gaping, head wound is not your typical opt-out excuse.

Rooney addressed those questions today on his Facebook page, posting two pictures none of us will be able to un-see:

source:

Oh, it gets worse, with a picture I can’t bring myself to post directly in the story. You can click here to see a more detailed, closer look of that cut. Suffice to say, that’s going to leave a mark.

This might be a good place to note it’s never a good idea to question an athletes’ injury claims, short of a confession of fraud from the athletes themselves. Then again, not many people were doubting Rooney, and those that were occupy a fervent extreme who are unlikely to be dissuaded by this lesson.

Rooney’s words, from Facebook:

Some people seem to be questioning my commitment to the England squad and the fact I had to pull out of the 2 games. There’s nothing I would like more than to be helping the lads in the qualifiers. I’m sure people will see from these images the reason why I won’t be able to play.

So that should quell doubts. Until next time, that is.

1. denisdog123 - Sep 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Rooney has played one half game this season that was worth his weekly salary. Last year he played maybe 2 games that were worth his salary. When he was youg he was a boy wonder. Like so many boy wonders he has grown steadily worse each season he has played since 2004.

If you separate each talent a footballer has, you will find Rooney does nothing extremely well. Not penalties, not free kicks, not passing, shooting, dribbling (especially dribbling) he has little ball control when just receiving a pass and his passes, even short ones are so bad, he risks injuring his teammates as they stretch for is. I played for United many, many years ago, have been watching football all my life and I have never, in all this years seen a more overrated player.

How I wish United, as some point, realize hype is hype and we would be so much better selling him to a rival for abetter player. Maybe even Mata from Chelsea) or Ozil (arsenal need a striker more than another midfielder) But there are so many ignorant United fans that think Rooney is something special……….they complain when there is talk of getting rid of him. He was special but not for a long time.

• cashtext4all.com - Sep 4, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I think you are wrong here…Rooney is one of the best striker on the ball…great composure and dribbling skills…can easily play in the midfield and stroke passes like he was one.

Rooney is very very good player..he may not be world class like messi, but he’s not that far off neither.

• notaretard - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:35 PM

“If you separate each talent a footballer has, you will find Rooney does nothing extremely well. Not penalties, not free kicks, not passing, shooting, dribbling (especially dribbling) he has little ball control when just receiving a pass and his passes, even short ones are so bad, he risks injuring his teammates as they stretch for is.”

you’re greatly over-exaggerating how “bad” he is. Additionally, would you rather have someone who’s extremely good at one thing and barely proficient in other areas (david beckham for example), or someone who is very good all around? i, for one, prefer the all around player who is at or above average in all aspects of his game.

” I played for United many, many years ago, have been watching football all my life and I have never, in all this years seen a more overrated player. ”

sure, and i played for brazil’s national team. and while you may have watched football all your life, you clearly don’t understand it as well as you think you do if you think rooney is the most over-rated player you’ve ever seen. he may be over-rated, but the most of all time? i can name many more over-rated players than him in just the last couple years. hleb, chamakh, carson, nasri, torres, SWP, pennant, etc. (this list could go on indefinitely).

2. nygiantstones - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM

You bad mouth Rooney, then suggest Arsenal trade a truly world class talent for him? That’s the dumbest thing I have read here. By far.

• danny136200 - Sep 5, 2013 at 5:29 AM

Not only trade a world class talent for Rooney, nygiantstones, but trade him for someone Arsenal just, and I mean JUST, bought

• notaretard - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM

but guys, he played for united. he must know everything.

this guy has his head so far up where the sun don’t shine he’s lost touch with reality

3. Sara Jey. - Sep 5, 2013 at 6:48 AM

And these shots were taken [i]after[/i] the blood was cleaned up – injured, indeed. Also, I must agree with the previous commenters – Arsenal needed Ozil on midfield and is pretty well set for strikers. What they needed was a keeper and they got that in Viviano. Back to Rooney – United wouldn’t be the same without him. He’s helped Utd win 5 Premiere League titles (5 of 20, impressive!). Now, there’s something to be said for taking uncalculated risks that lead to injury, but I think he’s just having a run of bad luck this year. He’ll have to train hard to get back up to speed when he’s cleared for play but I think we’ll see him contribute in his usual controlled fashion.

Week 3: Saturday Premier League recap