Sep 5, 2013, 2:06 PM EST
Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge has been ruled out of England’s clash with Moldova on Friday with a thigh injury.
The injury, which Sturridge suffered prior to last Sunday’s 1-0 victory over Manchester United, is not believed to be serious although it is unclear whether the striker will be fit to play against the Ukraine next Tuesday.
Sturridge has been in top form this season, scoring three game winning goals to propel Liverpool to the top of the Premier League table. After playing through the pain against United, Sturridge turned up at St. George’s Park Monday eager to train and play against Moldova.
Instead, the concerns Brendan Rodgers had over Sturridge’s fitness prompted the national team medical staff to hold the striker out of training and provide additional treatment. Sturridge will be evaluated again over the weekend to determine whether he will be fit to take on the Ukraine. England departs Sunday evening for Tuesday’s clash in Kiev.
With Sturridge out of the mix, England boss Roy Hodgson will likely start Danny Welbeck alongside Rickie Lambert, who the manager has already named as one of the starters. Jermain Defoe is available to play against Moldova but will likely be used in a substitute role.
Sturridge joins a growing list of English players who have been ruled out for Friday’s match against the 123rd ranked team in the world. Wayne Rooney is out due to his head wounds and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is sidelined with a knee injury while Phil Jones, Glen Johnson and Steven Caulker are all recovering from ankle injuries.
- Watch Live: Chelsea vs. West Bromwich Albion (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Arsene Wenger suggests Thierry Henry could return to Arsenal as a coach 0
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 12 0
- Inside Look: Not much separating Red Bulls, Revolution ahead of Eastern Conference Championship, leg 1 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 12 0
- Inside Look: LA Galaxy, Seattle Sounders to square off in Western Conference Championship, leg 1 0