Sep 5, 2013, 2:06 PM EST
Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge has been ruled out of England’s clash with Moldova on Friday with a thigh injury.
The injury, which Sturridge suffered prior to last Sunday’s 1-0 victory over Manchester United, is not believed to be serious although it is unclear whether the striker will be fit to play against the Ukraine next Tuesday.
Sturridge has been in top form this season, scoring three game winning goals to propel Liverpool to the top of the Premier League table. After playing through the pain against United, Sturridge turned up at St. George’s Park Monday eager to train and play against Moldova.
Instead, the concerns Brendan Rodgers had over Sturridge’s fitness prompted the national team medical staff to hold the striker out of training and provide additional treatment. Sturridge will be evaluated again over the weekend to determine whether he will be fit to take on the Ukraine. England departs Sunday evening for Tuesday’s clash in Kiev.
With Sturridge out of the mix, England boss Roy Hodgson will likely start Danny Welbeck alongside Rickie Lambert, who the manager has already named as one of the starters. Jermain Defoe is available to play against Moldova but will likely be used in a substitute role.
Sturridge joins a growing list of English players who have been ruled out for Friday’s match against the 123rd ranked team in the world. Wayne Rooney is out due to his head wounds and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is sidelined with a knee injury while Phil Jones, Glen Johnson and Steven Caulker are all recovering from ankle injuries.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 0
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)