Sep 5, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Eight players on yellow cards loom among other concerns for United States head coach Jürgen Klinsmann’s squad heading into Friday’s World Cup qualifier at Costa Rica. Another is Mexican referee Marco Antonio Rodríguez, who will officiate the game before the U.S. takes on Mexico.
“I don’t doubt that Marco Antonio Rodríguez is a great referee,” Klinsmann told Radio Fórmula on Wednesday. “Without a doubt, he applies the rules well, but at the same time, it’s something I can’t get out of my head. I have eight players on yellow cards, and four days later, we play Mexico. Truthfully, I don’t like it.”
Klinsmann reiterated to American media on Thursday that he found the assignment “unfortunate.”
Rodríguez — who has come to be known by the nickname Chiquidrácula, or Chiquimarco after the Protestant priest objected to the name because of his Christian faith — is known for his propensity to dish out cards indiscriminately. In four World Cup matches he has officiated, Rodríguez sent off three players, including Australian Tim Cahill in what was a highly questioned decision.
In Liga MX, he was once suspended for five matches after issuing two yellow cards at the same time, one in each hand, during a January 2012 playoff series between Tigres and Santos:
During the 2007 FIFA Club World Cup, Rodríguez took charge of AC Milan’s 4-2 win over Boca Juniors, where he showed five yellows and two red cards.
The knowledgeable site Transfermarkt has Rodríguez handing out a steady five yellow cards per game over 70 games in eight seasons. His 20 straight red cards during that time rank top of the table in Liga MX.
- USMNT player ratings: How Klinsmann’s men fared against Guatemala 1
- USA 4-0 Guatemala: USMNT cruises into Gold Cup with win in Nashville 0
- World players’ union FIFPro opens door to women for first time in 50-year history 0
- How will USMNT line up vs. Guatemala in final pre-Gold Cup friendly? 3
- Chile vs. Argentina – Three key battles that will decide the Copa America final 0
- Chelsea confirm season-long loan deal for Radamel Falcao 3