Sep 5, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
After announcing that Ryan Miller suffered a stress fracture in his left tibia that would require season-ending surgery, the Portland Timbers traded their lowest 2014 draft pick to the San Jose Earthquakes for midfielder Brad Ring.
Head coach Caleb Porter previously worked with Ring at University of Indiana, where Porter was an assistant coach during Ring’s 2005 freshman year.
Ring has played 37 games over the last three seasons in San Jose, but he has been relegated to the bench in recent weeks. He has started three matches in the 2013 season, the latest of which came on July 3 at Chicago Fire and July 6 at New England Revolution.
Miller signed for the Timbers before the 2013 season, having played the last four years in Sweden after stints with D.C. United and the Columbus Crew. His injury is another setback in a wave of Timbers’ medical troubles.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 1
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"